London to Brighton 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
richardj5 said:
How was it for you then?

Cheers

Slow, very slow...

Hit the route at 0730 and it was hugely slow out of London... and flippin' cold.
Once out of London it was even slower. London to Brighton Bike walk. I've a knackered cleat from all the walking.
We were deep into surrey before any comfortable progress was made, never mind we chatted to people, shared some jokes, imparted wisdom.

Lunched at Ardingly, Cheesburger, Sultana cake and tea
from the scouts (fab job) and then had a pretty zippy run down to Ditchling village where apon reaching thecrossroads were stopped by the Marshalls. Apparently there had been 2 Heart-Attacks on the beacon in a very short space of time. We were held back to allow the emergency services access. Delayed about an hour, chatted to a lovely young lady and shared around the Jelly babies. All a bit subduesd due to the bad news.
Eventually we were underway as the Flying Ambulance departed.
We were let up the Beacon in dribs and drabs. This actually was quite good news as I found myself with way more space to ride in than usual, though it did get veruy tight at times. With more freedom, climbing the beacon was pretty straightforward, never even getting into my 30 x 25 bottom gear.
Lots of people made it up the hill. I noticed a lot of girls on city/hybrid bikes seemed to make it up with comfort... this it seems is diue to the 'Mega-range' cassette fitted to such bikes. It highlighted the benefit of good low gearing.
Ice-cream at the top, 45 mph on the drop into Brighton and a nice rumble into the finish. Average speed of 11 mph! Long slow day, more knackered than my Sunday morning 60 miler at an ave of 15mph!

Reception on the sea-front never fails to amaze me too.

There did seem to be waaay more people than ever before, the constant stopping and walking annoyed me for the first time ever today. There were also a lot of accidents (this is also quite normal).

This is possibly my last L2B for the forseable future, not because I don't like it, but because the key people I ride it with are moving for sunnier climes and it wouldn't be the same without them. We've done about 14 years consecutively and my personal tally must be getting closer to 20 since my first in about 1984. It's time we did another ride somewhere...

Hope you had a good day.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Well, was my first ever and will definitely be doing it again next year. I'm far less sore or achy than I thought I was going to be - quads are a little tender when going up stairs, but other than that, not too shabby.

I was due a 6:30 start, but with 16 month old baby and wife in tow I ended up getting to the start just before 7. My team mates had managed to get there for the 6:30 start and somehow I passed them (I'd only met one of the 4 before yesterday, so I have an excuse). A little frustrating getting out of London, but once out on the lanes it was far more pleasant.

I ended up having to wait for them to catch up with set me back 20 mins or so. Then we had to wait for one of the other guys who had 'jelly legs'.

Then got caught behind an accident just after we'd passed under the M25 (I think) - had to wait around another 15 minutes before getting going again.

Started to get a bit frustrating waiting for the others - and I had my family waiting for me in Brighton so I sent the team a message saying I was going to plough on and may meet them in Brighton.

So off, I set - alone.

Made it up the Beacon in one, then cruised on down into Brighton.

Nearly missed my wife and son on the finish straight, had it not been for my brother shouting I'd of never seen them.

Looking forward to next year!

I had one incident where a dude swerved into me (from my left) and bounced off. It was a bit of irresistible force, meets immovable object.

Just read the tragic news too. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/10362762.stm

So sad.

rb58

Enigma
I had a 6.00am start, much better than the later times I had in previous. Clear roads and closed roads for much of the way made it an excellent ride. Because I was in the first group I experienced no delays, no issues at all really. The hills were clear and I made it to Brighton in 3 hours and 12 minutes. After half an hour taking in the atmosphere - which was already building even at 9.00am, I turned for home and headed back into quite a stiff headwind. Which probably explained why I made good time heading south!

I too would love to know what Zoe's answer was!

iZaP

Über Member
rb58 said:
I had a 6.00am start, much better than the later times I had in previous. Clear roads and closed roads for much of the way made it an excellent ride. Because I was in the first group I experienced no delays, no issues at all really. The hills were clear and I made it to Brighton in 3 hours and 12 minutes. After half an hour taking in the atmosphere - which was already building even at 9.00am, I turned for home and headed back into quite a stiff headwind. Which probably explained why I made good time heading south!

I too would love to know what Zoe's answer was!

Wondering if you have average speed for that trip?

Top Bottom