London to Brighton 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

At the risk of starting another thread which spirals into a tirade against organised cycle events ...... could I tentatively enquire if the L2B has always carried a high entry fee tariff given its obvious popularity or has it suddenly shot up this year. Never done the event and, for my sins, was tempted to try and join the masses this year. The £31 entry fee however seems to me to be overly excessive, particularly as I assume none of it goes to BHF (nothing mentioned in the blurb which contradicts this) and on top of this BHF are looking for sponsorship funds of £50+ per entrant and that's before I factor in travel expenses.

rusky

CC Addict
If you want to do a L2B event, a FNRttC is ideal. A lot less traffic & riders for a start!

zigzag

Veteran
you need to start at 5:30am to enjoy the ride, otherwise it's a crawl. i started at 6 o'clock this year and the first 10-15 miles were jam-packed. regarding the cost - i agree, a bit steep, but many events now cost around £30 unfortunately (marathons, half marathons, sportives, "challenges" etc.)

rb58

Enigma
+1
Although if you do get an early start and are reasonably quick (so you're in front of the masses) it can be a good ride as many roads are closed, it's well marshalled and there's quite a crowd to welcome you to Brighton. I think registration was around £30 last year as well (might be wrong though).

OP
OP
C

Camgreen

I guess it's a case of you pays your money (or not) and you takes your choice. I don't doubt there will be no shortage of (would be) entrants given it seems to be over-subscribed. More than anything I'd wonder if the price had been bumped up to take advantage of its popularity.

zigzag

Veteran
the price was similar four years ago, it's not bumped up. it would still be oversubscribed if it cost £40. not sure why people like it this much, but they do.

I'm going to attempt at least one FNttC this year after reading how much fun they seem to be. New bike on it's way, CTC joined for the 3rd Party insurance and hopefully the confidence to complete a ride without embarassing myself by the time Spring comes around.

Bill

PpPete

Legendary Member
FNRttC are definitely to be recommended as an alternate to BHF.
I did my first in November 2010 and will certainly be back for more in 2011.

jujubi

I'm thinking about doing L2B as a friend of mine might want to do it.

Ok, here's my question: How hard is it for the average cyclist?
54 miles doesn't sound too much, but how is the terrain? How difficult are the hills?
I'm on the bike most days, but I can't say I'm terribly sporty.

Glover Fan

The impression i've got off fellow cyclists who have participated is that it is an event that seems to attract people who have barely ever done any cycling, bit like cancer research's "race for life". People do about 2 weeks half hearted training and then do it as an achievement and it's for charidee innit.

I think there is meant to be a steep hill just before Brighton and about 90% of people walk up it. Apparently. This whole post is based on hearsay.

jujubi, without wanting to sound offensive, I think it is the sort of event which you won't find daunting cause at least 50% of people will be in the same situation as you. Good luck, and hopefully it will whet up your appetite for other challenges later on and increase your enthusiasm for cycling.:biggrin:

You'll complete it, even if you are absolutely panting by the end.

rusky

CC Addict
Ditchling beacon just before you get ot brighton. Most people walk it as there's too many people in the way!

jujubi

Ah thanks, that's reassuring. Not sure how fit my friend is. His daily commute is somewhat more serious than mine. Let's hope he won't be disappointed with my lack of speed.

rb58

Enigma
Don't worry about being slow There are so many people on the ride you'll be going slow most of the way, and walking a good amount as it slows to a stop. As Delzeqq said above, if you want a good London to Brighton charity ride go for the FNRttC Marletts run in September.

Top Bottom