London to Brighton 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I did it about 25 years ago when I lived in Brighton. It was slow but enjoyable and was the only time I walked up part of Ditchling Beacon - too many people in the way to ride.

The worst part was at the start - total chaos - but I've heard it's rather better now.

If you've never done it I'd say do it, but I don't intend to do it again!

BHF organise a number of other rides which are all on their web site, and there are plenty of rides in aid of smaller charities. I do at most one a year, this year one in aid of our local air-ambulance. If you want to do a charity ride but don't fancy the numbers there are plenty to chose from, including that Martletts one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
did you do the L2B? any advice would be apprecciated :thumbsup:

Once, but never again.

Best tips are get an early start as possible. Try to get ahead of the main slow bunch.

Be very aware. There are so many people on the ride that are simply not very good cyclists.
Some just stop or turn without any warning. So keep a good distance if you can between yourself and any cyclist in front of you. And if you are going to stop or turn, make sure you let people know around you and behind you by shouting and indicating.

It's an easy ride, really. A competent, fairly fit cyclists should have no problem doing it.
You will just get sucked along with everyone else anyway. There is a great camaraderie on the ride.
If it's warm keep yourself hydrated. Drink even if you don't feel thirsty.

Have fun....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
did you do the L2B? any advice would be apprecciated :thumbsup:

I've done it about 20 odd times since 1983 (I've lost count to be honest).
If you do a search under L2B or London to Brighton, you'll pull up a lot of threads about it.
My take is:
There's not another ride quite like it, it's the daddy, the biggest crowd, one of the oldest events and an interesting route. Ditchling Beacon makes a good focal point and coming near the end gives one time to build up to it! The ride from Ditchling into Brighton is ace and there's nothing, just nothing like the crowds and the finish on the seafront short of the Champs Elysee on the final stage of the Tour de France.
It's also doable for anybody of moderate fitness and a servicable bike.
But:
It's also the most crowded, you need to leave early and be happy riding in close proximity to other cyclists many of whom are equally unaware of others around them. People stop suddenly. There are many places where it comes to a standstill or so slow that you need to get-off and walk. There are several accidents each year and the occasional death.

However, if you take it as a gentle day out with pals, a cycling carnival, a celebration of 2 wheels where every man and his dog are out on the road on every kind of bike, gear and fancy dress - all human life is there, you'll have a day to remember. I've loved every one!

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0776.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0776.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Copy of IMG_0777.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0777.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Copy of IMG_0785.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0785.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Copy of IMG_0788.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0788.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 77
  • Copy of IMG_0800.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0800.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 75

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
My friend did the Martletts ride last year, I was broken at the time so couldn't join her. Will defo be doing it this year.
I'm also doing the C2C again... Much the same ride as the L2B but a lot less riders & grief (as mentioned a lot of L2B'rs have little cycling experience
, after being knocked off my bike in 3 L2B's -on 1 ride it was 6 times! by people who had no idea how to ride in a group I won't be doing one again)
the BHF L2B can be a bit of a zoo....

Once, but never again.

Best tips are get an early start as possible. Try to get ahead of the main slow bunch.

Be very aware. There are so many people on the ride that are simply not very good cyclists.
Some just stop or turn without any warning. So keep a good distance if you can between yourself and any cyclist in front of you. And if you are going to stop or turn, make sure you let people know around you and behind you by shouting and indicating.

It's an easy ride, really. A competent, fairly fit cyclists should have no problem doing it.
You will just get sucked along with everyone else anyway. There is a great camaraderie on the ride.
If it's warm keep yourself hydrated. Drink even if you don't feel thirsty.

Have fun....

Always my problem when a bar rears up in front of me!
Wise words Ian, and also from Fab subsequently.

funnymummy - make a date with the Martlets! Get sponsored and ride. Antonia is the nicest of nice people and anything anyone can do to amplify her efforts is a fantastic thing. There are sundry other events related to the Hospice also, like a night walk around Brighton... (I tentatively suggested that a peloton puts in an appearance throughout the night - as advert, and also because at The Madiera Café, one 'gets the treatment' for breakfast, from Greg and staff.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L

funnymummy - make a date with the Martlets! Get sponsored and ride. Antonia is the nicest of nice people and anything anyone can do to amplify her efforts is a fantastic thing. There are sundry other events related to the Hospice also, like a night walk around Brighton... (I tentatively suggested that a peloton puts in an appearance throughout the night - as advert, and also because at The Madiera Café, one 'gets the treatment' for breakfast, from Greg and staff.
I will defo do it this year, was recovering from surgery last time and didn't think id' be upto the ride.
It's a local charity for us, and have several friends who have had to use it services.
Are you thinking of an apperance on the Night walk..? Count me in if you do xx

Seen this? :smile: Actually, this walk coincides with a night ride to Whitstable, which is also good. I am supposed to be in Sweden for a night ride - so that's just three places at the same time :rolleyes: Get a group together fm and go and meet Antonia of the Martlets - she's fab.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu7n5ImKTyw[/media]

Top Bottom