London to Brighton 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you have a folding bike you should be able to take that back on the train. Probably ... Maybe. I haven't checked.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Anyone riding L2B this weekend? 🤔

Weather forecast showing cooler than recently but with possible thunderstorms midday to mid afternoon ⚡

Enjoy the day if you're doing it! 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve had to pull out, knee simply not up to it (the walk up Ditchling would kill it), and having seen the weather forecast I’m not too upset

gavgav

Guru
A mate of mine rode it today. He said it wasn’t too bad, but Ditchling was a no hoper, which I take means he walked it! He said the weather was awful for last hour and a half and very sadly there was a fatality on the route 😞

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A mate of mine rode it today. He said it wasn’t too bad, but Ditchling was a no hoper, which I take means he walked it! He said the weather was awful for last hour and a half and very sadly there was a fatality on the route 😞

Very sad to hear about the fatality.

I'm guessing from what I've read elsewhere that Ditching was probably so packed that there was no choice but to walk.

PeteXXX

The three main hills, plus the other pinch points, are fairly clear if you have an early start, otherwise they clog up to much to be able to ride even if you want to.

Sadly to hear about someone's death on the ride 😔

Edit: It was a man in his 60's that died on Redehall Road in Smallfield. No cause of death announced, yet.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Of the numerous times I've done L2B I've always tried for the earliest start.
The only time a group of us got a later start time I think we walked as far as we rode!

Sharky

Guru
I rode the event 4 times in the late 80's. I always used to ride to the start, so always ended up being in one of the later groups. There was a lot of walking at each junction and hills and it took me about 8 hrs to get to Brighton. But the ride back, taking a slightly different route, only took 4 hours!

T4tomo

Guru
The three main hills, plus the other pinch points, are fairly clear if you have an early start, otherwise they clog up to much to be able to ride even if you want to.

Sadly to hear about someone's death on the ride 😔

Edit: It was a man in his 60's that died on Redehall Road in Smallfield. No cause of death announced, yet.

Normally a heart related death every year on the main charity ride..

I did it on a tandem about 15-20 years ago, with a middle of the running order start. I think I drove down on the Saturday and left the tandem in the office and the car in Brighton and trained back. Then took first Sunday train into London to pick up the tandem and cycle across to the start. kept seeing the same bloke, who had his chopper on the train in, including cycling it back, as we drove back out of Brighton.

1st 30 miles took 4 hours and the 2nd 30 miles took 2 hours as the congestion eased a bit. We did make it up Ditchling, but took a lot of shouting to get a clear path up through the 6 a breast walkers / pushers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Normally a heart related death every year on the main charity ride..

I did it on a tandem about 15-20 years ago, with a middle of the running order start. I think I drove down on the Saturday and left the tandem in the office and the car in Brighton and trained back. Then took first Sunday train into London to pick up the tandem and cycle across to the start. kept seeing the same bloke, who had his chopper on the train in, including cycling it back, as we drove back out of Brighton.

1st 30 miles took 4 hours and the 2nd 30 miles took 2 hours as the congestion eased a bit. We did make it up Ditchling, but took a lot of shouting to get a clear path up through the 6 a breast walkers / pushers.

Crikey! 6 hours for a 60 mile ride.

In all seriousness do people really enjoy this as a bike ride? I don't live close enough to take part but at that pace wouldn't bother.

Top Bottom