England : London London to Brighton Sunday 29th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm in on this. (Trailing at the back)
@jayonabike and @toptom , our only train option is 07:13 (first train) from H.Hempstead, gets into Euston at 07:44, and hope to our respective Gods the roads are clear if we've to be in Croydon by 9.

The roads are usually nice and clear sunday mornings dahn saarf :thumbsup:

toptom

I'm in on this. (Trailing at the back)
@jayonabike and @toptom , our only train option is 07:13 (first train) from H.Hempstead, gets into Euston at 07:44, and hope to our respective Gods the roads are clear if we've to be in Croydon by 9.
Cool hopefully in Brighton by about midday. Will have to go to bed early Saturday night for this

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3135148, member: 30090"]Looking at the southbound route at 31K's that part of the A23 is closed (or was on Saturday and no doubt will be in a couple of weeks due to works). It's no biggie, there is a bit where you have to get off your bike and walk around the site following a make shift path.

Rather do this then go via Gatwick Rd/Fleming Way as the road surface is ****.

P.s that goes for the north bound route coming home but the same applies.[/QUOTE]

It's fine to cycle on, in fact it's quite nice as it's bollarded off from the traffic.
If you look at the northbound map, I bypass that road completely.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3135190, member: 30090"]Not quite sure if you are riding on the pavement or what but you have a bus lane (which cycles are not allowed to ride in) which means rbeing undertaken by buses riding on a road which is pitted and rutted.[/QUOTE]

Not sure where you are referring too Lee.
If you are talking about the roadworks after Gatwick, then it's a blocked off lane that you can cycle on.

Return is by Fleming Way which I did a couple of weeks back and is fine.

Are you saying that the road southbound is now blocked off completely?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3135223, member: 30090"]Certainly was on the return leg for me from the Brighton ride a few weeks back, and the road was still closed two days ago. I could not be bothered to go up the road again like last time so followed the diversion. A diversion that some dickhead council planner has seen fit to lay down a bus lane which cycles cannot use. And as a result of this you are getting undertaken by buses and overtaken by cars.[/QUOTE]

As I said, we do Fleming Way northbound missing out the closed road.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3135248, member: 30090"]Which I've said is ****e, a bus lane which you cannot cycle in and a road that looks like it's been bombed. Unless of course you are riding on the cycle path????:stop:

Say it ain't so Ian.[/QUOTE]

Have taken to the bus lane every time with no problems.

Tim Hall

Southbound the A23 is open (leastways it was on Friday). It's only northbound that diverts you via Fleming way and Gatwick Road. Personally I avoid riding in the bus lane, and it's no big deal being undertaken by a bus. You just overtake it again at the next stop.

rb58

Enigma
Not looked at the route yet (am on iPhone) But we can go via Three Bridges and past The Hawth instead of using the nasty by- pass or through the town centre. It brings you out by the football stadium. I've been that way plenty of times.

EDIT. Looked at the route. How about picking up the B2036 just before Horley, then the B2110 to Handcross. Avoids Crawley altogether.

On the return leg, I will peel off at Crawley and head cross country via Copthorne, Lingfield and Edenbridge, triumphantly conquering Toys Hill on the way home. Or maybe I'll just grind up Toys Hill!

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
Sorry chaps. I'm out. Was told last night we're having a family BBQ on Sunday followed by a mass outing to Up The Creek. And Little Miss rb58 is bring her boyfriend round for the first time, so I have to be here to do the stern father act.... Sorry.

Tim Hall

So, not fixed then.
IMGP4306.JPG

Hmm?

Top Bottom