london to brighton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordjenks

i was looking at the BHF website and it said entry fro L2B was closed for this year! i was really looking forward to going on this with a couple friends.
so how can i go? could we just sneakly turn up, i dont know how they can moniter all 25000 people or will there be places avaible from other places, people selling them on ebay etc?
thanks!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I am sure I read that last year 2/3 rd of the people taking part just turned up.

I would just turn up on the day and ride if i was you ... its all on public roads so its not like anyone can stop you is it, and reading the website the BHF dont supply food/drink stops along the way its all sold by local businesses

At the very worst you wont get a plastic medal at the end ;) and if you want the T-Shirt you have to buy one anyway

Simon

I last did this in 1999...I'd be less likely to do it now and more likely to do it when 37000 other cyclists aren't sharing the road.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Why not have a look at the cc informal rides page, theirs a night ride to brighton and you can get the train back which you cant do on the bhf ride.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
lordjenks said:
i was looking at the BHF website and it said entry fro L2B was closed for this year! i was really looking forward to going on this with a couple friends.
so how can i go? could we just sneakly turn up, i dont know how they can moniter all 25000 people or will there be places avaible from other places, people selling them on ebay etc?
thanks!
as the name suggests, the BHF ride has a purpose. Why not just make out a cheque to the BHF and ride down there another day?

buggi

Bird Saviour
Rapha did a London to Brighton night ride once. i wanted to go on it. i'm not sure if they are doing it again, i might drop them an email.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
dellzeqq said:
as the name suggests, the BHF ride has a purpose. Why not just make out a cheque to the BHF and ride down there another day?

Or write them a cheque, make a collection at work/family or whatever and ride on the day?
Whilst the event has its detractors, it also has its fans...

So I'll be there again, I've been doing them since about 1984, though I've missed a few here and there.
It's not without its dangers and frustrations, but if your expectation is that of a 'Carnival on 2 wheels', you heed the advice of the marshalls, then you'll have a great day. There's nothing like it for atmosphere.
If you think it's a race or a day for setting PBs, then you'll be dissapointed.

Enjoy the day, fund the charity, spend plenty at the cake stops, climb The Beacon' and enjoy Champs-Elysee style applause on the sea-front. The welcome is still extraordinary.

See ya there ;)

TChipperfield

Hi Fab (Foodie),

As you seem to have a wealth of experience with BHF and London to Brighton, do you know if the roads are closed for this event?

I was lucky that a friend signed me and a few others up, I think we just made it before they closed the sign up.

Cheers
Terry

PS. I have been lurking in the bushes of the forum for a while, this is my first post but hopefully become more of an active member.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No closed roads, the natives would riot. including this one. but most drivers/other cyclists stay well away on the day. turners hill x roads becomes a sick joke for east/west bound traffic.

not done it myself in years as it attracts too many people, if that can be said of a charidee event, for my taste but I have tagged along with b-i-l from surrey/sussex border to brighton in recent years.

if you want to ride L2B come on an FNRttC!

Fab Foodie

TChipperfield said:
Hi Fab (Foodie),

As you seem to have a wealth of experience with BHF and London to Brighton, do you know if the roads are closed for this event?

I was lucky that a friend signed me and a few others up, I think we just made it before they closed the sign up.

Cheers
Terry

PS. I have been lurking in the bushes of the forum for a while, this is my first post but hopefully become more of an active member.

Hi TChipperfield... and welcome!

Gregcollins is partly wrong here.
Some roads are completely closed, some are segregated and some are completely open... so there is a mixture. Heed the Marshall's advice and with a bit of common sense and roadcraft you'll be fine. BUT there are an awful lot of cyclists packed quite tightly together for large parts of the way, particularly the first half of the ride... it's part of the fun!
Hope you have a great day. Thousands will.

Now you've lost your forum virginity, get posting!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fab Foodie said:
Hi TChipperfield... and welcome!

Gregcollins is partly wrong here.
Some roads are completely closed, some are segregated and some are completely open... so there is a mixture. Heed the Marshall's advice and with a bit of common sense and roadcraft you'll be fine. BUT there are an awful lot of cyclists packed quite tightly together for large parts of the way, particularly the first half of the ride... it's part of the fun!
Hope you have a great day. Thousands will.

Now you've lost your forum virginity, get posting!

i sit corrected. where do they do the closures, I've not noticed them on my manor...

Fab Foodie

GregCollins said:
i sit corrected. where do they do the closures, I've not noticed them on my manor...

There are several parts where there are bikes only, but I couldn't tell you where, many of them are Narrow lanes, Woodmanstern areas is one, slugwash lane another, the road up the beacon of course and several other stretches too.

What I like is all the peoples houses you pass where they're effectively trapped for the day all picnicing on their front gardens and joining the fun.

Top Bottom