London to Cambridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Not really sure if this is the right place for this. I've done a search and not come up with much.

Has anyone done the London-Cambridge ride (in July I think it is)? I'm thinking about doing it - it'd be the first time I'd done anything like it.

I think I can get my fitness up OK, (at the moment I do a 9 mile round trip commute, could easily make this longer, plus rides at weekends, maybe some spinning classes) but I'm not really sure how much training I'd need to do.

My main concerns are that my fairly cheap hybrid bike would not be up to the job. I'm not really in a position to buy a better bike :biggrin:, and anyway I'm fairly sure that it would be better to do a ride like this on a crap-but-familiar bike than a better-but-not-used-to-it one. However I could be wrong!

One last thing - how much maintenance know-how do you need for this type of thing? At the moment I have none!

Thanks for any suggestions....

Tynan

Veteran
how far is it?

otherwise I think you'll be fine, my only experience was the L2B and there were people I wouldn't have fancied to manage a walk to the bus stop wobbling along on rusty old £99 MTBS in flip flops

as long as the pace is low and the start early people get there I suspect

bike in basic running order natch but you should have that from your commute

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Cool, thanks for that Tynan. I have heard stories of people doing this ride on Bromptons, but I'm not sure...

It's 50ish miles. Like I say, I think my fitness would be up to it. Could be just fooling myself there though!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
it's a bit longer than that! 60 if you take the A10, which is direct, and about 65-70 if you take the scenic route.

good luck!

Danny

Legendary Member
I once had a friend who cycled 200 miles from York to London on an old Raleight three speed, so you should be able to get from London to Cambridge on a modern hybrid.

If you have big nobbly mountain bike type tyres you should change these for some thinner road tyres which will reduce your rolling resistance and make it much easier to cycle. Your LBS should be able to advise on this.

I would also get your LBS to check over your bike, and advise you whether any maintenance needs to be done before the ride. Provided it is mechanically sound when you set off, you should be able to do the distance without anything major breaking down along the way. In any case if it is an organised ride there will usually be a breakdown van with a tool kit, and hopefully someone to held with repairs.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi there, I have done the L-C many times. It is a really good ride. Maybe the last 9 miles or so is a bit boring as it is on a main road into Cambridge. From the start it is now 52 miles, it used to be a bit longer, 60. There is only one hill of note, but that is short and sharp at about the 40 mile mark. As a first longish ride it well worth it. there are tea stops every 10 miles or so, mechanics on site, a broom wagon to pick you up if needed. Your hybred bike will be fine for the ride make sure it is mechanicly sound and your tyres are pumped up hard. Build up your milage gradually and you will breeze it.

Tynan

Veteran
can't be worse than that Ditchling Beacon

got a tug from L2B to do it again, screw that, the ride was good fun but the standing around in crowds of bikes waiting for god knows what to clear ahead was awful

thinking about that Ditchling one

jay clock

Massive member
Twenty or so years back I started to commute - 10 mile round trip. After a few weeks my flatmate dragged me off to Brighton for the day - my first ride over about 10 miles.... The base level of fitness and arse-hardening of the commute made it a breeze.

You will have no problem!

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Excellent, thanks for the encouraging words.

You don't notice your fitness level day to day, but I know it is MUCH better than it was before I cycled - after my first ride (uphill but....only 3 miles...and in East Anglia, so when I say uphill;)) I had to lie down, and there was PAIN.

Think I might sign up for the ride....I'll have to do it then.........EEEEEK!!

:tongue:

Danny

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
Hi there, I have done the L-C many times. It is a really good ride. Maybe the last 9 miles or so is a bit boring as it is on a main road into Cambridge. From the start it is now 52 miles, it used to be a bit longer, 60.

Where did the other 8 miles go? :tongue:

Mortiroloboy

Tynan said:
can't be worse than that Ditchling Beacon

got a tug from L2B to do it again, screw that, the ride was good fun but the standing around in crowds of bikes waiting for god knows what to clear ahead was awful

thinking about that Ditchling one

Yep, me too, and, ditto. Grrrrrrr. I did the 2006 O2C = 88 miles much more fun, just take your time, make sure you have plenty fluids and snacks, spare
tube(s) and a mini tool, you'll be OK...Promise.:tongue:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Dannyg said:
Where did the other 8 miles go? ;)

The ride used to start from Picketts Lock sports centre in Edmonton. Now it starts from the Lea Valley park Waltham Cross. From there it still uses the same route, except for the last couple of years the famous cake stop at Hinxton village hall has been discontinued. That was the last stop before Cambridge. The ladies of the village baked the most wonderful cakes and sold them on behalf of the WI. Never did carrot cake and a mug of tea taste sooo good.

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Well, I've gone and signed up for it! Quite excited about the challenge now. Better get over to the training section now then eh??

Thanks guys - I'm sure I'll be back here with some more 'numpty' questions in due course!!:biggrin:

Originally quoted By Paulus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyg
Where did the other 8 miles go?

The ride used to start from Picketts Lock sports centre in Edmonton. Now it starts from the Lea Valley park Waltham Cross. From there it still uses the same route, except for the last couple of years the famous cake stop at Hinxton village hall has been discontinued. That was the last stop before Cambridge. The ladies of the village baked the most wonderful cakes and sold them on behalf of the WI. Never did carrot cake and a mug of tea taste sooo good.

They've only lost about 5 miles on the L2C, it was originally stated at 60 miles; but was around 57.

Haven't done it for 4 years or so, so very sad to hear that the Hinxton stop is no longer there :biggrin:.

I've not done the Salisbury Century either for 4 or 5 years, so does anybody know if the ladies at Hanging Langford still there? Like Hinxton that is a wonderful stop and worth doing the ride just for the teat and cakes.:tongue:

Mortiroloboy

ArDee said:
Originally quoted By Paulus

They've only lost about 5 miles on the L2C, it was originally stated at 60 miles; but was around 57.

Haven't done it for 4 years or so, so very sad to hear that the Hinxton stop is no longer there :biggrin:.

I've not done the Salisbury Century either for 4 or 5 years, so does anybody know if the ladies at Hanging Langford still there? Like Hinxton that is a wonderful stop and worth doing the ride just for the teat and cakes.:tongue:

Freudian slip I suspect?!

Top Bottom