London to China. Access and Visa info please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ross basham

Hi Everyone,

We are two UK nationals planning a cycle trip from London to China and are after some experienced knowledge. We want to cycle through Europe to Turkey then on to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, possibly Kazakhstan and then in to China.
The first leg of the trip from London to Turkey seems pretty straightforward following eurovelo routes and no visa issues. From here on we don’t have much knowledge or experience.

From what I understand Georgia and Armenia seem straightforward with a UK passport only requiring a visa on arrival but info/confirmation of this would be great!?

Azerbaijan seems quite vague and the consulate website seems very confusing. Does anyone have any experience of overlanding here?

I have read on the UK Iran visa page that visas here need an invitation or a guided tour, but I have read that an invitation code purchased from iranianvisa.com or similar will suffice. Anybody have any experience of this recently? Ie success rate, procedure, timescales and costs etc?

From then on does anyone have any experience of obtaining access/visas in to Tukmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan and China? Does anyone have information such as overland access and obtaining advanced visas en-route or on arrival, and general info on success rate, costs and entry issues?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ross.

classic33

Leg End Member
The paperwork requirements were why Yasuyuki Ozeki avoided the route. Time limits were not flexible.

Against the wind, Yasuyuki Ozeki, for a fuller list.

I have only toured toured through Europe, South East Asia and Africa so cannot help that much, but I would suggest checking out the https://www.crazyguyonabike.com site as there are plenty of trip reports on there with regard to your route. Do a search for Pamir which is one of the main routes through the "Stans" I hope that helps.

That's a complicated trip. I have found when travelling (by plane) to Russia, it was worth paying a visa agent to do the leg work for me. It's worth finding one locally to you and having a chat. There's no obligation; they will give you an idea of what is required for each visa, and a price for doing it all* for you. You can then decide if that price is worth it.

*I don't know for sure if anyone can do visas for you to all those countries.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You will have trouble cycling over a land border into China, particularly if you cannot commit to exact dates and accommodation details. Many an overland trip has flown the last bit into China to get round this.

OP
OP
R

ross basham

Hhhhhmmmmmmm, yes the more I read the more I think we may struggle, particularly in Iran and China. The Stans would seem to be ok. More reading ahead and then a wing and a prayer I feel. Or a plane hehe.

Thanks for the info everyone!! Much appreciated.

iLB

Hello there
Hi Everyone,

We are two UK nationals planning a cycle trip from London to China and are after some experienced knowledge. We want to cycle through Europe to Turkey then on to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, possibly Kazakhstan and then in to China.
The first leg of the trip from London to Turkey seems pretty straightforward following eurovelo routes and no visa issues. From here on we don’t have much knowledge or experience.

From what I understand Georgia and Armenia seem straightforward with a UK passport only requiring a visa on arrival but info/confirmation of this would be great!?

Azerbaijan seems quite vague and the consulate website seems very confusing. Does anyone have any experience of overlanding here?

I have read on the UK Iran visa page that visas here need an invitation or a guided tour, but I have read that an invitation code purchased from iranianvisa.com or similar will suffice. Anybody have any experience of this recently? Ie success rate, procedure, timescales and costs etc?

From then on does anyone have any experience of obtaining access/visas in to Tukmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan and China? Does anyone have information such as overland access and obtaining advanced visas en-route or on arrival, and general info on success rate, costs and entry issues?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ross.

You have PM.

Top Bottom