London to Guildford route advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I need to go between EC3 and Guildford relatively regularly, and would like a route to ride. I've come up with this route, and wondered whether anyone had any comments on it, or alternative suggestions. I'm looking for something efficient and reasonably quiet rather than particularly pretty, but the small detour through Richmond Park seems too good to avoid.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/110751373

Ignore the little bit of backtracking near Guildford - that's because Google maps can't cope with the bike path alongside the A3. At least initially I'll be on a sturdy tourer rather than a road bike, so that I can learn any deficiencies in the bike path.

TwoTired

Not much wrong with that but consider
1) Cobham - Oakdene Road, Anyards Road and Copse Road;
2) Kingston - reverse is Clarence Street, Cromwell Road, Gordon Road
3) Putney - Lower Richmond Road has less traffic
4) Central London I prefer the Embarkment

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Been on most of those roads a few times. You should be fine. Kingston one-way system is a PITA but it's otherwise straightforward. The A3 bike path is fine, bit tight in places but surface is OK, the odd bit of loose vegetation on it but the Highways Agency seems to give the hedges the odd trim, so with any luck it won't be overgrown when you use it.

musa

Über Member
youll be on the side of the a3 for not long ill look for the route i did on the jubilee day

musa

Über Member
here is the gpx file...but on doing the route a detour was taken through richmond park and detour elsewhere, shame I didn't get the recorded track :angry:

Attachments

• london2guildford.gpx
    2.3 KB · Views: 198

ChrisBailey

I live near Kingston and one of my recreational / training rides is loops of Richmond Park. If I wanted to exit Richmond Park and end up on the Portsmouth road out of Kingston, this is the route I would take. Hacked Google maps as some of it (the black bit) you could not drive. This avoids the one way system and is largely pedestrian free (except 100m of the market).

Hope this helps

Chris

Attachments

• Route through Kingston.JPG
    Route through Kingston.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks all - that gives me some useful information to play with. MapmyRide seems to have a gratuitous extra 20 miles since mapping it last night!

All I need now is some decent weather...

Top Bottom