London to Lands End... advice needed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twinmummycjb

hey, newbie and relative amateur cyclist...
I’m hoping to cycle London to Lands end this year for my cousin who is fighting Sarcoma, and my uncle, her dad fighting lung cancer and unable to have chemo...
I have cycled ride London before (100 mile) but this will be my first massive challenge. Ideally a supported ride would be good but cannot find one for the charities I want, only BHF.
So questions are...
Is there a route via new forest and south coast as opposed to via Bath...
is anyone else thinking of doing something similar, will be very lonely alone for 4 days!!
I don’t plan on racing it, I’m just want to do it safely and enjoy it...
any advice greatly appreciated
Carla

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Just out of interest, I plotted a route and I think it's within 10 miles of the Bath route http://cycle.travel/map/journey/57943

Treewisemonkey

hey, newbie and relative amateur cyclist...
I’m hoping to cycle London to Lands end this year for my cousin who is fighting Sarcoma, and my uncle, her dad fighting lung cancer and unable to have chemo...
I have cycled ride London before (100 mile) but this will be my first massive challenge. Ideally a supported ride would be good but cannot find one for the charities I want, only BHF.
So questions are...
Is there a route via new forest and south coast as opposed to via Bath...
is anyone else thinking of doing something similar, will be very lonely alone for 4 days!!
I don’t plan on racing it, I’m just want to do it safely and enjoy it...
any advice greatly appreciated
Carla
Hi Carla,
When are you thinking of going and what sort of accommodation did you have in mind ?
Thanks
Terry

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I found the new forest surface utterly disappointing, mind you, that was some time ago (self and @iLB on an explore). I did a solo London to LE via Andover and Exeter. Was surprisingly pleasant, IIRC. It was, oh my, many years back now!

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/830181

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I found the new forest surface utterly disappointing, mind you, that was some time ago (self and @iLB on an explore). I did a solo London to LE via Andover and Exeter. Was surprisingly pleasant, IIRC. It was, oh my, many years back now!

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/830181
I'd advise to avoid the A30 west of Exeter at all costs: it's in effect a busy 2-lane motorway with no hard shoulder. Take the 'old A30' instead, which is lovely, runs alongside or close by for long chunks, and passes through some lovely towns.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'd advise to avoid the A30 west of Exeter at all costs: it's in effect a busy 2-lane motorway with no hard shoulder. Take the 'old A30' instead, which is lovely, runs alongside or close by for long chunks, and passes through some lovely towns.

I'll second that.
The old A30 between Exeter and Okehampton is my favourite 'main road' ride.

Mile195

Veteran
I've just come across this post. Did you do this ride already? I rode London to Liskeard last year largely off main roads, which I can send you .GPX files for if you like...

moodoir

I've just come across this post. Did you do this ride already? I rode London to Liskeard last year largely off main roads, which I can send you .GPX files for if you like...
Hi there, I wondered how you found the ride in general as I'm looking to do London to Lands End in 2020 but struggling to find a route. How did you carve up the route and where did you stay if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, Dan.

snorri

Legendary Member
Hi there, I wondered how you found the ride in general as I'm looking to do London to Lands End in 2020 but struggling to find a route. How did you carve up the route and where did you stay if you don't mind me asking? Thanks, Dan.
I suspect you are unlikely to get a response from the OP(Originating Post(er)) as she has not been seen back on the forum since Feb. 2018.
It's often a good idea to click on the image to the left of the text of the post when looking at old threads, as this can tell you when a poster was last seen:smile:.

moodoir

I suspect you are unlikely to get a response from the OP(Originating Post(er)) as she has not been seen back on the forum since Feb. 2018.
It's often a good idea to click on the image to the left of the text of the post when looking at old threads, as this can tell you when a poster was last seen:smile:.

Ah, thanks for the tip ;)

Top Bottom