London to Liskeard - which route, and what to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
im planning to cycle down to Liskeard in a few weeks time, so I really need to get my backside in gear and start planning a route!

My plan is to do 3 days - 2 long (100-110), plus the remainder. However, any suggestions on route?

Main options seem to be:

- go west as far as Wiltshire, then southwest into Devon (car equivalent would be M4/M5)

- go south west in a more or less straight line touching the top of Hampshire and following a route roughly parallel with the A303

-go more southward into Hampshire,near to Salisbury and take a more coastal route (equivalent of M3/A35 in a car).

I should have time to stop at one tourist thing on the big days - a castle, country house, especially quirky museum, etc. Any suggestions?

I plan to stick to more country lanes that go through chocolate box style villages - this tour is about the ride, not the speed that I get to the destination so much.

So what's everybodies thoughts on the approximate route, and what's worth seeing on the way? Thanks all for your help!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
@Ian H might have some ideas.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
So many options. I'd probably come out of London north of Basingstoke then via Overton, cross the A303 towards Winchester. Turn right at some point to Stockbridge. You can then do a loop south. Mottisfont house is there. Head for the Grimsteads, then stay south of Salisbury (unless you want to visit it). The road via Odstock, Bishopstone, Broad Chalk is excellent. If you go via Sherborne the last bit will be A30, but it'd not too busy there. Go south of Yeovil via Bradford Abbas, and East Coker. Head for Merriott. Probably simplest to head for Chard and A30 up Snowdon hill west. Either stay on that for a superb climb through Yarcombe, or go left at the top of Snowden to follow the old coach road through Stockland (v hilly). If you take the A30 you will come out where the A303 ends. Take the 3rd left sp Cotleigh to follow a level road (possibly Roman) to right at a junction into Honiton. From there follow the old A30 (blue cycleroute signs to Exeter). Navigate the city to find the old A30 (over the river, Cowick St, and right before the flyover bridge). That is a quiet and interesting route all the way to Okehampton. Finch's Foundry at Sticklepath is National trust. Through Okehampton find your way on to the Lewtrenchard road. Then you can grimp across country, or go via Lifton and south from there.

Hope that helps.

RedRider

Pulling through
So many options. I'd probably come out of London north of Basingstoke then via Overton, cross the A303 towards Winchester. Turn right at some point to Stockbridge. You can then do a loop south. Mottisfont house is there. Head for the Grimsteads, then stay south of Salisbury (unless you want to visit it). The road via Odstock, Bishopstone, Broad Chalk is excellent. If you go via Sherborne the last bit will be A30, but it'd not too busy there. Go south of Yeovil via Bradford Abbas, and East Coker. Head for Merriott. Probably simplest to head for Chard and A30 up Snowdon hill west. Either stay on that for a superb climb through Yarcombe, or go left at the top of Snowden to follow the old coach road through Stockland (v hilly). If you take the A30 you will come out where the A303 ends. Take the 3rd left sp Cotleigh to follow a level road (possibly Roman) to right at a junction into Honiton. From there follow the old A30 (blue cycleroute signs to Exeter). Navigate the city to find the old A30 (over the river, Cowick St, and right before the flyover bridge). That is a quiet and interesting route all the way to Okehampton. Finch's Foundry at Sticklepath is National trust. Through Okehampton find your way on to the Lewtrenchard road. Then you can grimp across country, or go via Lifton and south from there.

Hope that helps.
Blimey, I wanna go there myself after that:bicycle:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

Hope that helps.
It almost sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Top Bottom