London to Paris DIY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beermonster

Über Member
Alright folks, in the process of organising a diy London to Paris over 3 days in June via Calais and would like any advice of hotels, routes and any other tips etc. Have found one route on another website which goes through Amiens, is this a good road? Where to stay in Paris? Over to you!! :bicycle:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I had a look into this and in the end didn't bother.
I have done loads of routs here along with a coast to coast ride but the planning for L2P just seemed so much hard work, the two things that put me off were, 1- i have spent a lot of time in Northern France on small minor roads and the signing can be somewhat hit and miss, getting lost almost everytime i have been over there 2- entering Paris is famous for being a major problem, as most of the roads going in a major roads and to busy to cycle, so its in through the suburbs and have heard many stories of getting lost in the burbs.
All the best , i decided to go on an organized trip but admire them who go for it and do it and succeed .

OP
OP
beermonster

beermonster

Über Member
Thanks for the reply Diddly. Agree it's alot to sort out but the organised rides are quite expensive to do hence the reason to go it alone.
Still looking for routes and recommended hotels, especially for Paris. :wacko:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've only ridden Calais to Paris once (start of the Calais-Brindisi route), and I remember nearly getting on to the peripherique going the wrong way. I suggest a perusal of google maps (perhaps set to walking). Have you got gps? Also, are you a CTC member? They'll have good routes in.

Alberto

We did London-Dover-Calais-Abbeville-Beauvais-Paris a couple years ago on, unsupported, staying at youth hostels, F1s and a very nice B&B in Beauvais. I can dig out the routes as gpx files if you were interested?!

All was on minor roads, getting to Paris was not too bad but not scenic at all. We did it over 4 days, leaving the Beauvais-Paris leg for the last day with an easy and flat 60 km ride. It can be done in 3 days if pushing on the second or third day.

OP
OP
beermonster

beermonster

Über Member
Thanks for the replys. Will try and look at that route in more detail Dan, thanks. Would be interested in your route too Alberto as we could stop around Amiens to make it a 3 dayer.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's nicer places to cycle than Calais to Paris.
Overnight ferry from Harwich - Hook of Holland - Middelberg - Bruges - Calais would be more pleasant IMHO, and have the handy benefit of letting you get lost in a variety of languages :biggrin:

Alberto

Alberto

Yes, all on quiet roads, mostly very quiet and no cycle paths or trails. Doable on 23 mm no problem. It gets busy towards Dover though, so best to avoid rush hour if possible.

Therese

Hello beermonster. Hope you enjoyed your trip.
I'm interested in organising a similar ...London to Paris in 3 days. Would love to hear what route you decided on, how accomodation was, any tips?

Top Bottom