London to Paris Sept 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
Hi All

I am doing the London to Paris in September starting on the 9th and its the 4day cycle by way of Dover. Is anyone else taking part in this event? also has anyone done this route before and if so what is it like. its my first attempt at anything like this I have done the London to Brighton but I know this is no comparison.

Any thoughts , advice or if your planning to / already have registered please let me know.

thanks
Martin

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi All

Any thoughts , advice or if your planning to / already have registered please let me know.

thanks
Martin

You'd be better off posting your request in the Charity Rides forum or the Road Rides, Audax and Sportives forum.

You got your post positioning right first time, Martin! Not to worry - it will be sorted out.
You'll enjoy the ride. For a 'taste' of things, search through the Informal Rides section and read the anecdotes - from people of all abilities. Not sure what your ride will be like, but Dieppe to Paris is a nice day ride. @User13710 @mmmmartin @StuartG to name but a few, all have experience of the 'feel' of rides thereabouts.

Hi All

I am doing the London to Paris in September starting on the 9th and its the 4day cycle by way of Dover. Is anyone else taking part in this event? also has anyone done this route before and if so what is it like. its my first attempt at anything like this I have done the London to Brighton but I know this is no comparison.

thanks
Martin

Did it a few years ago - just three of us in a non organised trip. London-Dover/Calais-Amiens-Paris over 3 days. I would go for the 4 days if I did it again.

London traffic is lovely compared to Paris; they are evil! You need a really good map or whatever to get you into the middle of Paris. We go lost and nearly missed the train home.

Great to do though. Hope it goes well.

StuartG

slower but further
As above France is ideal cycling territory. You will be shocked by how considerate motorists are. Paris, however, is another country. Its only the fact that you are almost there that drives you on through the outskirts that make Uxbridge look good on a bad day. If you are comfortable with London riding then you won't need to close your eyes and put your soul in the hands of your chosen deity. But the first beer outside a Parisian Cafe will make even that very worthwhile. The London Paris via Dieppe is three Brightons in three days without Ditchling. Absolutely do-able for anyone still conscious by Madeira Drive.

The Calais route isn't so pretty and longer. Best go via Dieppe this summer as a 'training' ride. Warning: finding cycle friendly accommodation in Paris is challenging. Second warning don't take anymore than you absolutely need. Some of us have done it with just a bar-bag. You will appreciate it on every incline.

There are many 'tricks of the trade' to help here. Arm warmers, leg warmers, buffs, Helly Hensen LIFO underwear, ultra-lite rain jackets help you cope with a wide range of weather conditions while taking minimal space.

Last edited:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I did it last September and loved every minute. I did it with a company called skyline and they were first class. You'll love it.....
Day 2 was my favourite leaving from Calais to Abberville. Stopping at whatever café we wanted.
Hell of an experience

OP
OP
Martin Rees

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
thanks for the reply I did post a response a few weeks back but for some reason (probably my stupidity) its isn't showing.

for an update training is going well. really looking forward to it. @Doyleyburger I am also going through skyline and will be heading out on the 9th. the only thing that is slightly worrying to me is that I am using a sports hybrid rather than a Road/touring bike. not sure how my time will be effected but this and if I will be taking way to long to finish.

I currently average 10-12 miles on a long ride so on day one I should be done in about 9 1/2 hours actual cycling time (long old day). but i am hoping to push my speed up as time goes on.

OP
OP
Martin Rees

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
just thought I would add to this that I am doing this on a sports hybrid rather than a road bike hence the lower speeds.

Top Bottom