London to Paris - What Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

prm83

Hello everyone, I'm doing the London to Paris bike ride next year and I'm about as clueless as it gets. I have not ridden a bike for 25 years. Could someone give me some advice on which kind of bike or bike brand I should go for? I appreciate there are probably some very good bikes out there, but to be clear, I'm doing this ride for charity and then won't be using the bike again to be honest, so may even sell it. So basically I'm looking for something cost effective, that will get me through the challenge. And of course, any other advice would be great!

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it a supported ride Or do you have to carry luggage?
how long are you doing it over? Do you want drop or flat handlebars?
when is it, youll need the bike for training., do you plan to train over winter? Indoors or out?
second hand would make most sense, see if there’s a recycling charity near selling refurbed bikes.
or you could borrow, or rent?

2pies

Veteran
See if you find a Cannondale Synapse on eBay. Nice bike with relaxed riding position but with enough gears and varying handlebar positions for a long ride.

Gwylan

Veteran
Did the first British Legion Pedal to Paris a long time ago.

Did it on my Peugeot Oxford City bike.
Comfort, reliability and gear ratios are key issues.
Not exactly LEJOG.

Oh and practice. A few 100km trips will give you a feel for what you need. Also what works for you. Bike set up, cycling, water, clothing, stuff you don't need.

A bike you can train on.
Modern lightweight disk brake road bike but less racey, with clearance for mudguards and probably a rear rack.
Get the right size , not too aggressive riding position. Shimano Tiagra grade parts should be up to the task. Lower gears may be needed, eg compact front chainring instead of racing gears.

Top Bottom