London to Torquay route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Well fastest is probably a303 but that is a real crap road to cycle on. when you get to devon, I would recommend the a379. Nice coastal views.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A30 is not too bad. Depending on your time of departure could be busy up to Basingstoke. To get across the A303 there, head to Overton just NW of Basingstoke then S to Sutton Scotney and join the A30 again. Lopcombe Corner to Salisbury can also be busy, but there's no easy alternative. There's cycle contraflow through the middle of Salisbury. Suggest you might look at the relevant bits of my Buzzard 600 for Salisbury to Exeter. There's a set of gps files downloadble from http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/audax-events/the-buzzard-600. You want numbers 3 and 4.

doog

The fast route from London to the West Country has been been pretty well documented on here and CTC over the years.

Would I cycle it....No..there are far better alternatives but even suggesting you shouldnt go down certain roads will get into a willy waving fight on how hard / tough blah blah ..I commute in London etc etc

Amazingly no locals cycle these roads but some people simply know better

enjoy your ride

Last edited:
Top Bottom