London - Waterloo to Euston; how long?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am wandering off to Normandy next week, taking the bike by train/ferry. On the way back from Portsmouth (heading home to Ayrshire) I have to change stations in London from Waterloo to Euston. I only have 50 minutes between trains, that's if the incoming one is on time! Bearing in mind it is a Sunday morning, will that be enough time? Looking at the map, they don't look too far apart, but my London geography isn't great so not familiar with one way systems etc.. Also bike will be loaded up (not too much hopefully) and I am not a sprinter, probably about 15/20 mph max in town.

On the outward journey it is not a problem as I have about 2 hours to find my way from Euston to Victoria, so should even manage some sight-seeing!

Any help from Londoners would be appreciated...

Crankarm

Guru
Lots of time. You could ride it in 5-10 minutes on a sunday morning. 15 mins if fully loaded.

laertes

It is very easy directions wise too, with no one-ways to worry you. Straight over Waterloo Bridge, follow the bend of Aldwych, turn up Kingsway to your left. Keep going straight and you will see Euston station on your left.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You can walk it in 50 minutes (I've done so) and from having no idea where you're going. Only problem with waterloo is that it's massive and badly labelled, once you work out which direction you're supposed to be going on the outside over the river you'll get there quickly.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you get a good run on the lights, 10 mins, if not, I'd allow 15mins.

There's a bus lane for much of the route on Kingsway, but for part of it (at Russell Sq) cycling is prohibited. Most cyclists ignore this...

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Excellent! Sounds like even a country boy like me might manage it.....

Thanks for the replies and advice. Roll on Saturday! If any of you see a lost looking rider on a Tricross with red panniers between Euston and Victoria; or the following Sunday between Waterloo/Euston, gie's a wave!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Agree with others, 20 mins max. Over Waterloo bridge, cross the Strand into Aldwych. At the top of Aldwych, directly outside 'Bvsh Hovse' turn left into Kingsway. Then just keep heading north past Russell Square until you reach the major junction with the Euston Road (note Fire Station on NE corner) At next traffic lights, by new Travel Inn, station entrance is on your left.

Top Bottom