England : London London / Wimbledon cycling recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I'm down in London for work for next week and have my bike with me and some spare time in evenings/first thing in the morning so was hoping to get out on the bike.

Can anyone recommend some routes/areas to aim? Will be setting off from Wimbledon park and looking to do 20-30miles and would ideally like to head outwards from London rather than head towards centre which is only bit I really know as the only cycling I've done in London has been commuting around the city.

Thanks in advance

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
A loop to Richmond park with a lap or two would be close to your desired distance.

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

A loop to Richmond park with a lap or two would be close to your desired distance.

Is Richmond park like many of the London parks that get locked up at dusk? Got locked into a London park years ago (can't remember which one but it was a v big one) with a friend, we were somewhat distracted and forgot to get out before sundown. Ended up having to got to the police officers with tail between legs and get them to let us out. Wasn't the most pleasent end to what had been an amazing day!

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

Open to bikes and pedestrians 24 hours a day except during the cull (November and February, I think). Cars gates close around dusk.

If you are going after dark, good lights are essential as deer wander on to the road.

That's cool, its a good thing that I recently upgraded my front light then! Riding into a deer probably wouldn't end well :eek:

OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

If you could stretch that a little, you could take in Box Hill.

That's a good idea, could head back to Brum a bit later and do that on my last day as would be nice to do it in the daytime for the first time. Just having a look on google maps, is Zig Zag road the one I should be aiming for?

vickster

Legendary Member
That's a good idea, could head back to Brum a bit later and do that on my last day as would be nice to do it in the daytime for the first time. Just having a look on google maps, is Zig Zag road the one I should be aiming for?
Yes zig zag. It'll be extremely dark around there and quite busy with cars in rush hour so be careful

Yup, that's the one https://www.strava.com/segments/4543755

The A24 - the most obvious way in - is pretty straight and miserable - fast cars , but it has a decent adjacent cycle path. Personally, I like to sneak in the back way, via headley lane eg
View: https://www.strava.com/activities/232470590/embed/ddd8ade8001298ca9e848dbf5933d78a00b1e43f

Must type faster! :hello: @vickster

Top Bottom