London X League 2012/13 season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
I'm fairly sure I only got lapped by the first four, three of whom passed me while I was down ^_^ I then kinda latched onto them and stuck with them to the finish. It was that strategy that got me to reclaim the two places I did. Having said that, the crash happened because i was trying to stick to the Darren Barclay's wheel and totally overcooked a corner. So I would have been better off riding conservatively.

You rode a very convincing race and your single speed was clearly not a handicap. Great job. You beat a lot of experienced crossers yesterday :thumbsup: I didn't think I was going to catch you until you started to fade on the penultimate lap.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think singlespeed was a handicap at all on that circuit, though I understand some other circuits on the London X League are a bit more technical and/or lumpier...

I need to work on that pushing through the pain barrier thing. When I faded, I faded quickly.

d.

VamP

Banned
I don't think singlespeed was a handicap at all on that circuit, though I understand some other circuits on the London X League are a bit more technical and/or lumpier...

I need to work on that pushing through the pain barrier thing. When I faded, I faded quickly.

d.

I don't know if you've seen but JM's site now has a video up as well. We come through together at 8.06, must have been the penultimate lap.

I note that the EL and LL races this weekend are both at Hogg Hill, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. Will try to ride both.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Have fun! I'd love to do it but I'll be watching my son play his first rugby match of the season. Would lose many dad points if I missed that one.

Do you have a link to that video of last week, by the way?

d.

VamP

Banned
Have fun! I'd love to do it but I'll be watching my son play his first rugby match of the season. Would lose many dad points if I missed that one.

Do you have a link to that video of last week, by the way?

d.

Right here.

You have got it absolutely the right way around, have a great time at rugby!

This weekend is unique in that Lee Valley club are organising London League AND Eastern League races on the same weekend, at the same course at Hogg Hill. So I rode the Eastern League yesterday, and will ride the same course again today in London League. Will be interesting to see how the old body copes with two races back to back.

VamP

Banned
Epic.

Both races were brilliant, in very different ways, though I placed in 12. Vet place in both. Sunday was just an absolute hoot with the mud and the rain, proper cross. My legs were gone, but I was able to make up time on the downhills and even a puncture didn't slow me down too much. The organisers have me down in 70. overall, even though I was in 36. but this is a common enough occurrence in the league and usually quickly resolved with an email.

I am not sure how easy mid week nights are for you, or how difficult Swindon is to get to, but there's Thursday night cross series running in Swindon, with 7:30pm starts which I plan to get along to. Going to miss the next two LL events for sure, but want to ride Eastern League this coming Saturday, and as many of the Swindon races as I can get to.

And there's Muddy Hell and Rapha Cross to think about as well!

No pictures from Sunday, but here's one from Saturday

early laps.jpg

That weather seems totally improbable looking back.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Chapeau!

VamP

Banned
John Moulineaux has posted videos from both races here. I suggest the LL race is well worth watching for the comedy falls and John's Murray Walker-like commentary. Hilarious.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I did my first race of the season on sunday- The Horwich Humdinger in Bolton. Forgot how much fun cross was after a big wipeout that knacked me shoulder last year.

Unfortunately there's only one more local race I can do before I get my hand operated on in a couple of weeks- gutted!

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anyone racing at Herne Hill (round 4) this weekend? There's a chance I might be able to make it... fingers crossed.

Next week's race (round 5) has been cancelled, apparently. Back to Fowlmead for Round 6 on the 21st - currently no rugby match scheduled for that date, so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to do that one.

d.

Top Bottom