London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skut

It's a long walk from MA to the Tower of London.

Especially if Mrs J likes shopping cos the first thing you'll have to do is walk the length of oxford street.

ChrisKH

Guru
Jim said:
And, can I walk to the Tower of London / London Bridge from Marble Arch.

Muchos gracias :evil:

Not really (well you can, yes, but it's a bit of a trek, probably 4/5 miles). Nice distance if you had a folder with you. Easier to take the tube.

As far as alternatives go, it depends what you like. The British Museum is not far from Tottenham Court Road.

Bike shops; spoilt for choice Evans and Condor (and several more) in Holborn area which is walkable or 3-4 stops on the tube. Ditto Bikefix which is not far from Chancery Lane tube stop.

There's a photography exibition on at the Albert Hall that looks interesting (short walk through Hyde Park).

British museum (if that your thing) is free and within walking distance.

There's a bike shop in Selfridge's I think, that'll keep Mrs Jim happy as well!!

The tower of London is a fair old walk, as in miles!! probably better on the tube for that one!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Or walk up Edgeware Road for that authentic "London is acutally in Saudi Arabia" feeling! :evil: (...some nice Lebanese food on offer, though, if you like that sort of thang!)
Oxford Street is the obvious one to do/avoid depending on your tastes/wallet.
You can take a free stroll through Hyde Park, which is just across the road...that can lead you to Green Park, then St. James's park...do you see a theme developing here?

ChrisKH

Guru
So to sum it up, essentially, in a nutshell, there's nothing around there. Certainly nothing 'just round the corner'. 1.5 miles to British Museum/Holborn.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If you've made it to St James park, then you're just a stroll from Horseguards Parade, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and the Embankment, where you can go and watch the biggest bicycle wheel in the world revolving slowly...

British Museum currently has the Terracotta Warriors, although tickets sold on the day are limited, so you might miss out on those...

If you made it all the way down Oxford Street (ugh!), you could turn into Regents Street and do Hamleys, if you're the sort of person who's never grown out of toy shops.

It depends how much you like walking though (and how comfy your shoes are). I've done some marathon strolls (well, ok, not actually marathon as in 26 miles, but long) in London, just by virtue of wandering from sight to sight. One of my best memories ever was doing Tower of London to King's Cross, via the Tate Modern, St Pauls, Fleet Street (I think) and a detour down Oxford St for Sushi. Took all afternoon mind, but did include a couple of drinks in a pub along the way...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, I forgot about the free bit, that rules out the terracotta army, but the rest of the museum is free...

In fact if you head southwest across Hyde park to the Albert Hall, you're in Musuem Land - Natural History, Science and the V and A... All free, as I recall. The trick is to take in what you see along the way, if you're not a regular in London. Sometimes you'll suddenly realise you're looking at the house where someone really important was born or something, or realise you're walking past the sort of house owned by Saudi sheiks...

Hyde Park... see where the Tour went. also Kensington gardens and it's not far to the V&A, Science and Natural History museums

John Soanes Museum in Lincolns Inn - best museum in London. not far from the British Museum.

egyptian food... not sure, but there's a place in Marylebone, on Wigmore St, i think, near St Chritopher's Place. It's middle eastern, could be Egyptian.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Remember that there will be no service on the District line between Earls Court and Whitechapel and no Circle line due to engineering work and there won't be a replacement bus service either.

walker

yorkshiregoth said:
Remember that there will be no service on the District line between Earls Court and Whitechapel and no Circle line due to engineering work and there won't be a replacement bus service either.

If you got good trainers or shoes and a good bill of health, then Everything in London thats worht getting to is pretty much within walking distance.

Only problem being a tourist is you don't know the shortcuts

Top Bottom