London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not nec Egyptian per se, but (as mentioned before, ahem ahem) Edgeware Road (leads straight off Marbles Arches) is basically one big Arab themeland these days, with some naff aspects (how many "Mr Fat B*s@rd" clothes shops can one road need?, no eye contact with the be-veiled womenfolk, obese children wiping their nose on £20 notes and scratching their arses) but their is some wonderful food to be had in Lebanese caffs along there. Try the Tyburn pub...I worked there as a barman years and years ago.... might have been pimped up now, but it was a decent boozer once.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
laurence said:
Egyptian food... not sure, but there's a place in Marylebone, on Wigmore St, i think, near St Chritopher's Place. It's middle eastern, could be Egyptian.

Harrods ????

gbb

Legendary Member
laurence said:
Hyde Park... see where the Tour went. also Kensington gardens and it's not far to the V&A, Science and Natural History museums

John Soanes Museum in Lincolns Inn - best museum in London. not far from the British Museum.

egyptian food... not sure, but there's a place in Marylebone, on Wigmore St, i think, near St Chritopher's Place. It's middle eastern, could be Egyptian.

Did this on Wednesday...the tubes ideal if you want to scoot around a bit. £6 odd for a day traveller, gets you anywhere and everywhere.
We did the Natural History Museum. Yes, theyre free, but 1/2 to 1 hour queue to get in, 1/2 to 1 hour queue to get into the dinosaurs section (well worth it BTW)....but overall i may have gone to the Imperial War Museum or something similar.
Nat History was ok, but it didnt light my fire....

yello

There's a branch of CycleSurgery in Selfridges, not a 10 min walk from MA down Oxford Street.

I lived near Marble Arch and Hyde Park was my escape place! I loved to walk around there and on through the parks (Green Park, St James) if going to the south bank or Trafalgar Square area of town.

The south bank is free and worth a stroll. You can carry on down from there to the Tower of London and you'll pass a number of 'sites' - the Tate modern gallery, the Globe, Oxo tower, Clink Street, that boat (darned if I can remember what it is!), etc etc

Edgware Road is indeed a 'mecca'! AND the only place you can get a decent coffee (and cake!) at 3am without having to contest with piles of vomit and aggressive drunkards. The place is alive on summer's evening and I would recommend it to anyone.

Brock

Speicher said:
On the subject of London and restaurants etc, does anyone know of an Egyptian restaurant? Thanks

Not really what you were asking for, but I really enjoyed the Iranian meal I had at Simurgh in Covent Garden a couple of years ago. xx(

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you to Brock and Yorkshiregoth (and one or two others) for the info re Iranian and possibly Egyptian restaurants. I hope to try them sometime. What a mine of information you all are!

Top Bottom