Londons Mayor of the people puts Bobbies on Buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Since the disastrous decision by the defeated commie ex mayor to allow free bus travel for the cities chav population, It has just been announced that there will be an extra 440 bobbies assigned to the buses in the capital to help make this mode of transport safer. What a good egg Boris is ;) :evil:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7404097.stm

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Plenty of cyclists use buses too, me for one (when in London)

Shifted the chip of your shoulder and ****ed off to Prague yet Spinners?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
i reckon Boris 'shagger' Johnson must have slipped one to Spinner's mum back in the day or something.....

back to the thread - great news. I'm not sure I want to be around to see it, but something needs to be done to confront the chavvery that plagues the UK. it's going to be nasty, but necessary. Bit like the early 80s all over again, just with chavs, not dinosaurs.....

OP
OP
L

LLB

zimzum42 said:
i reckon Boris 'shagger' Johnson must have slipped one to Spinner's mum back in the day or something.....

back to the thread - great news. I'm not sure I want to be around to see it, but something needs to be done to confront the chavvery that plagues the UK. it's going to be nasty, but necessary. Bit like the early 80s all over again, just with chavs, not dinosaurs.....

I think its the best thing which could happen TBH.

New Labours way of appeasing every man and his dog has seriously undermined peoples confidence in everything they promote, and also the massive growth of CCTV has very questionable motives seeing as it has had bugger all impact on crime rates.

The free bus travel for under 16s is by far the dumbest move I've seen yet, and reflects the total disconnection with reality for the regular man, woman and child on the street which New Labour posesses ;)

asterix

Comrade Member
Nope, can't see why under-16s shouldn't get free bus travel.

But then they are well behaved members of the community round here and there would be no need to put either gendarmes or police on buses.

..and BTW LLB has little interest in cycling; he hangs around here (mostly soapbox) because he is a sad git who enjoys winding people up.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
There is nothing wrong with under 16's travelling for free.
As a parent I'd prefer my daughter to be able to get home by bus rather than have to walk the streets.
I also got free travel when I was on sickness benefit after being traumatised by a twunt in stolen car who made a good attempt at trying to kill me, leaving me unfit to cycle for a few years. The free pass was invaluable during this time for taking my daughter to school et al.

Once again Linf starts shouting the odds about a city he doesn't live in and has no regular experience of, showing he has about as much understanding and empathy as a razor blade in a bag of crisps.

OP
OP
L

LLB

tdr1nka said:
As a parent I'd prefer my daughter to be able to get home by bus rather than have to walk the streets.
I also got free travel when I was on sickness benefit after being traumatised by a twunt in stolen car who made a good attempt at trying to kill me, leaving me unfit to cycle for a few years. The free pass was invaluable during this time for taking my daughter to school et al.

Once again Linf starts shouting the odds about a city he doesn't live in and has no regular experience of, showing he has about as much understanding and empathy as a razor blade in a bag of crisps.

You mean she feels safer traveling on the buses of London than walking with all the chav occupants looking for trouble ?

Anyway, I have been up to London half a dozen times since Christmas. Last time was 4 weeks ago, next time will be next Saturday, and I usually use public transport to get around whilst I'm up there.

roshi chris

the regular man, woman and child on the street

You mean people like you. Typical selfish tory attitute. I work in the City in planning and development (specifically transport), and I can tell you that everyone who knows anything about how London operates is very worried about Boris.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
linfordlunchbox said:
You mean she feels safer traveling on the buses of London than walking with all the chav occupants looking for trouble ?

Not that this statement makes much sense, but she and I feel safer that she can catch a bus home even if she doesn't have the fare. How many kids do you have?

linfordlunchbox said:
Anyway, I have been up to London half a dozen times since Christmas. Last time was 4 weeks ago, next time will be next Saturday, and I usually use public transport to get around whilst I'm up there.

I visit many cities on a regular basis and wouldn't have the temerity to consider my opinion of the public transport above those that use and interact with it day to day.

You paint a pretty vile and over generalised opinion of the general public London in a sensationalised manner which is patronising and belittling.

OP
OP
L

LLB

roshi chris said:
You mean people like you. Typical selfish tory attitute. I work in the City in planning and development (specifically transport), and I can tell you that everyone who knows anything about how London operates is very worried about Boris.

Did you get your job after Ken got his, and did you have a hand in the killer bendy bus fiasco implementation ? .

I'm not surprised your worried. Boris said he wanted to cut through the bullshit red tape. Public spending has to come high on the agenda to help pay for all the promises which Red Ken made with his tax and spend agenda :eek:

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
tdr1nka said:

There's plenty wrong with it! Especially if you have to share a bus with hoards of them who push past the queue of fare paying or pass showing passengers so that by the time you get on there's nowhere to sit so you have to either go upstairs with them while they vandalise away, or stand downstairs.
Also there's loads of the lazy oiks who hop on for one stop only.
On one of the routes I regularly use, the shrewder bus drivers stop further past the stop to let passengers off if they see a big group of kids waiting to get on.

Maybe let them have free travel in the school hours but there's no need otherwise.

OP
OP
L

LLB

tdr1nka said:
Not that this statement makes much sense, but she and I feel safer that she can catch a bus home even if she doesn't have the fare. How many kids do you have?

I visit many cities on a regular basis and wouldn't have the temerity to consider my opinion of the public transport above those that use and interact with it day to day.

You paint a pretty vile and over generalised opinion of the general public London in a sensationalised manner which is patronising and belittling.

I meant sat on a bus being hassled by a group as opposed to walking on her own. I cover my kids bus fares if they are going into town or train fares if they are going across to the next one.

I've got 2 daughters (15 and 17 btw) I usually nip and collect them and their mates and drop them home, or their mates parents do this in return if they are out after dark.

jonesy

Guru
I'm afraid I don't see why bus travel for under 16s has to be free and I'm surprised Boris hasn't scrapped it. Subsidised travel- fine. Special discount tickets- fine. But making it completely free simply encourages wasteful use of expensively provided capacity; you have to ask whether this is really the best way in which that amount of money could be spent, is that really the best way to achieve those social objectives?

If the money were spent on improving service frequency, expanding the route network etc then more people, including the under 16s, would benefit from improved accessibility.

Top Bottom