Long Cage Ultegra Mech with 28t Cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm getting my RT-58 ready for some hilly rides, and since I'm not much of an uphill rider, I'm changing the current 11-28t cassette to an 11-32t. Current RD is a short cage, so I've got a long cage one to replace it with, along with a new, longer chain. I have no concerns with changing from the 28 to the 32, but if I wanted to revert back to the 28t cassette in the future, can I leave the long cage RD in place, with the longer chain?
I'm thinking the mech will be fine, but chain length may be an issue?

pawl

Legendary Member
I’m doing exactly the same thing.I am using a KMC chain with master link .I will keep the current Shimano chain which is barely worn and use if I want to change back to a28 ,with a Shimano master link,

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm getting my RT-58 ready for some hilly rides, and since I'm not much of an uphill rider, I'm changing the current 11-28t cassette to an 11-32t. Current RD is a short cage, so I've got a long cage one to replace it with, along with a new, longer chain. I have no concerns with changing from the 28 to the 32, but if I wanted to revert back to the 28t cassette in the future, can I leave the long cage RD in place, with the longer chain?

I'm sure it will be fine, after all you will be using the 11t cog with the longer chain on both set ups with the longer chain. The derailleur will just take up the slack.

Venod

Eh up

I have run a short cage 105 rear mech with a 12/32t cassette, I put the B screw in from the other side, it may not work with all frames though.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
As @pawl sai can’t you keep the existing chain if it’s not worn too much?
Long cage Ultegra, is there such an animal?

I thought the existing chain may be too short. It's only got a couple of hundred miles left on it , but since I'm fitting a new cassette I'd like to do the chain at the same time.
I've just bought a long cage Ultegra rear mech, used and battered from an 'off'. I'm only going to swap the cage, rather than the whole unit.

Ajax Bay

Guru
with the longer chain. The derailleur will just take up the slack.
If your current chain is the right length for an 11-28 then you'll need a longer one (one (inch) link) to cope with the 11-32 cassette and the quoted advice will not be 'applicable': the RD cage will not wind up sufficiently and in the 13t and 11t you'll get chain on chain interaction below the (not quite) tension pulley in small/small - which will prompt you to change up to the large chain ring pronto.

Joffey

Big Dosser
If your current chain is the right length for an 11-28 then you'll need a longer one (one (inch) link) to cope with the 11-32 cassette and the quoted advice will not be 'applicable': the RD cage will not wind up sufficiently and in the 13t and 11t you'll get chain on chain interaction below the (not quite) tension pulley in small/small - which will prompt you to change up to the large chain ring pronto.

I meant once you have the correct chain length on the long cage mech for the 32t cog it shouldn't do that on the 11t cog. Then it won't matter if you change to a 28t cassette at a later date, the mech will work as it did before on the larger cassette.

I have run 11-32 for the last 2 years on a med cage 5800 mech and not had any interaction. On my new bike I use a med cage mech on an 11-34 Utlegra mech and have no issues either.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it won't matter if you change to a 28t cassette at a later date, the mech will work as it did before on the larger cassette.
I refer the honourable member to my previous 'answer'. If the OP swaps back to the 11-28 the RD cage will not wrap the (longer) chain up sufficiently to avoid chain-chain interaction in (an accidental) small/small.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I refer the honourable member to my previous 'answer'. If the OP swaps back to the 11-28 the RD cage will not wrap the (longer) chain up sufficiently to avoid chain-chain interaction in (an accidental) small/small.

The point I am making is this:

Think of it like this. If you go back to the 11-28 it's only like using the 11-32 but never going onto the largest sprocket.
the 11-32 gives you... 11-12-13-14-16-18-20-22-25-28-32
So all should be good.

Small small accidental or otherwise would be the same on a 11-28 or an 11-32.

And like I said, I'm running at 11-34 rig and on small small I get no interaction

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
'Medium' is Long isn't it? Wish Shimano would get rid of confusion and simply call them 'short' and 'long', as there aren't really any 'medium' in their road range are there?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm running at 11-34 rig and on small small I get no interaction
Because your chain is the right length for a 34t largest sprocket. What do you think would happen if you now put an 11-28 cassette on (which is the conundrum the OP asked us to advise on)?

Venod

Eh up
Because your chain is the right length for a 34t largest sprocket. What do you think would happen if you now put an 11-28 cassette on (which is the conundrum the OP asked us to advise on)?

If he is running 11-34 and all is fine in small - small, then all will be fine in small - small with an 11- 28 the derailleur will not be under as much tension in 28 as 34, the chain can be shortened if you want to, but if it isn't causing a problem in small - small with a 11 - 34 it won't cause a problem with 11 - 28.

Top Bottom