Long distance canal routes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nuddmann

Regular
Hi folks. Just joined the forum today.

I've started to get back into cycling over the last 10 months or so. I'm regularly commuting but would like to explore some longer distance routes. I'm quite interested in doing 2 or 3 days on the canal towpaths as a relatively gentle into to touring. Trouble is I'm struggling to find decent maps online showing inter connected towpath routes. Can any of you point me in the right direction ?

I'm based near Brentwood on Essex

Cheers
Bernie

subaqua

What’s the point

Brains

Legendary Member
The Kennet and Avon canal sounds perfect for you, starts at Reading and goes to Bath/Bristol, nice and easy to do over a long weekend.
The map is available from Sustrans

OP
OP
N

Nuddmann

Regular
Found this on Canal and Rivers trust site. Guess it answers my question.

Is there a map specifically designed for the towpath to see where there is and isn’t a towpath to cycle?
We’re working on it! At the moment we don’t have a map of our towpaths available but we do have a map showing all of our canals and rivers. You can use this to plan your journey and then follow any signs asking you to walk with your bike. You can also see details of any towpath closures by searching through our stoppages and noticessection of the site.

Bit of a shame

aferris2

Guru
I've done quite a few canal holidays and have always used http://canalplan.eu/index.html to plan the route. There's almost always a towpath running alongside even if the quality is fairly variable. I know you can change the travelling speeds, so you may be able to set it to "cycling speed" and get something useful out of it. Even without speeds, you should be able to see how the canals link together.

Note: Just been to the site tonight and it seems to be coming up with errors when trying to plan a route. Hope they fix it soon. We've got a holiday coming up for the half-term.

JackE

Über Member
Why not try the River Lee from either Limehouse Basin or next the Olympic Park near Stratford. It's not quite a canal but is probably your nearest riverside path and is a delight up to Hertford East. From there you can get a train back to Liverpool St or continue on through some lovely quiet Herts country lanes towards Royston.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've ridden the Lea from Hertford to London - it would be a highly leisurely day! The towpath is variable, but rideable on most bikes. Continuing on to Cambridge would be easily doable over a weekend. The caff at Dobbs Wier is not bad, and the Rose cafe in Hertford can fulfill all your carb and bacon loading needs.

subaqua

What’s the point
I have been using google maps to plan a trip on the grand union either heading out from Brentford up to past Tring etc then get the London midland train back ( nicer people to deal with than Virgin)

JackE

Über Member
Rode the Grand Union from Little Venice to Rickmansworth recently. A very enjoyable ride though the path surface is pretty rough at times. Did it on my tourer with 32 Marathons and anything narrower would have been uncomfortable..

OP
OP
N

Nuddmann

Regular
I've ridden the Lea from Hertford to London - it would be a highly leisurely day! The towpath is variable, but rideable on most bikes. Continuing on to Cambridge would be easily doable over a weekend. The caff at Dobbs Wier is not bad, and the Rose cafe in Hertford can fulfill all your carb and bacon loading needs.

Just logged back in so thanks for he replies so far.
Went out with a mate on Thursday, we met. In Harlow and went on the path along the Stort, into the Lea valley then up the towpath to Hertford. Lovely pub called the Barge in Hertford. Google maps actually shows the path along the rivers.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
there are some good google earth files that show the canals, its easy to view from different angles and see how they all relate to each other.

a bit of googling should soon find it.

OP
OP
N

Nuddmann

Regular
there are some good google earth files that show the canals, its easy to view from different angles and see how they all relate to each other.

a bit of googling should soon find it.
Further to all the good tips so far, I'm looking at doing from my house to Bath, using the Kennet and Avon and Grand union from Hemel to the end of the Slough arm. The bit I need more info on is the Thames path from Slough to Reading. I know that, officially, it's not a cycle route, however does anyone on here have any experience of cycling some or all of the Thames path between Slough and Reading?

If so I'd be grateful for any tips, especially as to what the going is like. I'll probably be doing it in the warmer weather but it's England so you never can tell!

Top Bottom