long distance fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meadows

Hi as a newbie to longer distance cycle rides, can I ask for some advice regarding food. I am used to carrying gels, bars etc but as I am hoping to complete more day tours and perhaps even some multi day rides. I would like to become as self sufficent as possible so plan to carry a stove etc.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All you need is normal food. What ever takes your fancy. For cooking, Pasta and tinned foods. For on the go, sandwiches, pork pies etc

Jason

keep a gel handy as a last resort, but real food is far better for you imo. home made flap jacks are easy to bake and carry. Tinned food won't perish, but there is the weight penalty, why not buy supplies at the last store before entering wilderness areas

Long time ago, I used to carry a stove when I rode with a mate. We used to cook bacon and eggs for lunch. I still recall making him a perfect egg, hard on non-stick pans and then as I went to take it out I burnt my hand on the edge of the pan. The resultant twitch flipped his perfect egg straight over his head into the field behind. He didn't forgive me for the rest of the day.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
At least have some porridge for breakfast. It's wonderful stuff and you can make it in a microwave in three minutes, eating it out of the bowl it was cooked in.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Long time ago, I used to carry a stove when I rode with a mate. We used to cook bacon and eggs for lunch. I still recall making him a perfect egg, hard on non-stick pans and then as I went to take it out I burnt my hand on the edge of the pan. The resultant twitch flipped his perfect egg straight over his head into the field behind. He didn't forgive me for the rest of the day.

Surely 10 second rules apply so you could just have picked it up again. Blow on it first to remove any germs if you're particularly OCD about such things

Top Bottom