long distance fuel

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by meadows, 27 Sep 2017.

1. meadows

meadows Active Member

Hi as a newbie to longer distance cycle rides, can I ask for some advice regarding food. I am used to carrying gels, bars etc but as I am hoping to complete more day tours and perhaps even some multi day rides. I would like to become as self sufficent as possible so plan to carry a stove etc.

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

All you need is normal food. What ever takes your fancy. For cooking, Pasta and tinned foods. For on the go, sandwiches, pork pies etc

dave r, StuAff, HLaB and 3 others like this.
  3. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

Get off the gels and bars. They're just sugar bombs and keep you in a constant glucose coma. Eat real food.

wxbull, Milzy, HLaB and 5 others like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

keep a gel handy as a last resort, but real food is far better for you imo. home made flap jacks are easy to bake and carry. Tinned food won't perish, but there is the weight penalty, why not buy supplies at the last store before entering wilderness areas

5. Petrol stations often sell high quality nutritious produce such as Ginsters pasties and Magnums.
    I have no advice re stoves, sorry.

6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I tip if you decide to heat/cook food on the stove, take a good strong carrier bag to put the pots into before they go back in the pannier/saddlebag.

7. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Use cafe stops during your ride. Eat good wholesome food. Not the crap you get in gels.

derrick, dave r and Milzy like this.
  8. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Long time ago, I used to carry a stove when I rode with a mate. We used to cook bacon and eggs for lunch. I still recall making him a perfect egg, hard on non-stick pans and then as I went to take it out I burnt my hand on the edge of the pan. The resultant twitch flipped his perfect egg straight over his head into the field behind. He didn't forgive me for the rest of the day.

9. Cronorider

Cronorider Well-Known Member

Just pointing out that gels are useful when doing hard workouts or riding distance at a higher pace. They do have a purpose and work well for me.

10. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

At least have some porridge for breakfast. It's wonderful stuff and you can make it in a microwave in three minutes, eating it out of the bowl it was cooked in.

11. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

Surely 10 second rules apply so you could just have picked it up again. Blow on it first to remove any germs if you're particularly OCD about such things

12. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

When the OP suggested carrying a stove, I don't think a large lump of metal and a generator was quite what they had in mind.

My favourite stove for touring belongs to a hotel.

YukonBoy, jiberjaber and slowmotion like this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Oops!

srw likes this.
  14. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Guru

15. Crackle

Crackle Pah

It was no longer a perfect egg, plus my twitch launched it a fair distance and he just kind of sat there open mouthed in shock, holding his plate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice