long distance fuel

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by meadows, 27 Sep 2017.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Alpkit's Kraku stove is about the size of a lighter. Paired with a small gas canister, you won't get much smaller.

I'm giving Huel a go at the moment. I've done a short Audax powered by it to satisfaction. Only used it car camping, so touring is still an unknown.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

If you honestly need to boil water but want to keep the weight down, a hexi burner is good. The blocks dont tend to last long but you can boil some water and fry some eggs and bacon if you have time to spare. You can buy hexi blocks pretty cheaply on amazon and ebay.

I think my longest ever ride was the dynamo. foodwise I just took a small bag of sweets and quite lot of cereal bars or flapjacks that are high in carbs. I tend to favour the Alpen fruit bars. one or two gels are always at the bottom of the bag just incase I really really need something for the final push.

I try to buy real food along the way or at least have one proper meal if possible. In terms of the dynamo it was the burger stop which i think was around half way. bloody expensive but well worth it!!!

3. pawl

pawl Veteran

A stove would be to heavy.A small microwave would be better.

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

REAL FOOD.
    Beer.

raleighnut likes this.
  5. Fab Foodie

Wimp. Real tourist use an AGA with cast iron pans....

dave r and raleighnut like this.
  6. pawl

pawl Veteran

Will a carbon fibre frame support an AGA. Also it would take some time to cool down and the frame may melt.

7. greenmark

greenmark Über Member

^^^ this

8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I use a Pizza Oven, luckily it comes in kit form,

3d91fc9ae8813219202cdad49781190e.jpg

Beebo, dave r, Fab Foodie and 3 others like this.
  9. You know those flexible Fresnel lenses that you see stuck on the back windows of buses, or that bookshops sell as reading lenses. Could you get one of those and roll it up (perhaps for convenient storage inside the seat tube) and when dinnertime comes unfurl it and use it to concentrate the suns rays for cooking? Look out Crowdfunder, here I come.

I did consider the idea of mounting a stone on your bike, and setting up a magnifier to heat it as you ride, and then when dinnertime came you would have a pre-heated hot stone. But I decided that might be a silly idea.

Edit: Captain Kirk (or possibly Mr Spock) did a similar thing. They were stuck on a very cold planet and he used his phaser to heat up some rocks to keep them warm. So, given that sensible precedent, maybe not so silly.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2018
    Profpointy and raleighnut like this.
  10. pawl

pawl Veteran

Cold toast spread with Marmite cut ln to bite size pieces

Real food for real cyclists .Always did have peculiar tastes.

11. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

That's not quite as silly as it sounds and should work shouldn't it?
    You'd have to have your tea before it got dark mind

12. Bah. They already exist. Just googled fresnel lens solar cooker. Got a billion hits.

13. Fab Foodie

You don’t have a cast iron frame???

14. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Yes, if I'm riding and don't have a cafe stop planned I carry a few slices of their malt loaf.

15. Fab Foodie

I used to travel with a Trangia or gas stoves, but for my recent trips I invested in a Pocket Stove (the Ti version weighs nothing), a MyTi 600ml mug from Alpkit and an Alpkit wind shield.

The pocket stove will run on Hex blocks, Meths burner or twigs. Hex blocks are cheap, light, and faff-free (though yo get a bit of soot). The combo boils water well for tea/soup, but also holds a std 400ml can of soup, beans, rice bud etc. as a baine-marie and works really well.
    The whole rig is small and light enough to carry in a small bag when out for an afternoon stroll.

IMG_4511.JPG IMG_4526.JPG IMG_4690.JPG

It all depends how gourmet or how quick you want to be!

raleighnut and dave r like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice