long distance fuel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you honestly need to boil water but want to keep the weight down, a hexi burner is good. The blocks dont tend to last long but you can boil some water and fry some eggs and bacon if you have time to spare. You can buy hexi blocks pretty cheaply on amazon and ebay.

I think my longest ever ride was the dynamo. foodwise I just took a small bag of sweets and quite lot of cereal bars or flapjacks that are high in carbs. I tend to favour the Alpen fruit bars. one or two gels are always at the bottom of the bag just incase I really really need something for the final push.

I try to buy real food along the way or at least have one proper meal if possible. In terms of the dynamo it was the burger stop which i think was around half way. bloody expensive but well worth it!!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi as a newbie to longer distance cycle rides, can I ask for some advice regarding food. I am used to carrying gels, bars etc but as I am hoping to complete more day tours and perhaps even some multi day rides. I would like to become as self sufficent as possible so plan to carry a stove etc.
REAL FOOD.
Beer.

pawl

Legendary Member
Cold toast spread with Marmite cut ln to bite size pieces

Real food for real cyclists .Always did have peculiar tastes.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You know those flexible Fresnel lenses that you see stuck on the back windows of buses, or that bookshops sell as reading lenses. Could you get one of those and roll it up (perhaps for convenient storage inside the seat tube) and when dinnertime comes unfurl it and use it to concentrate the suns rays for cooking? Look out Crowdfunder, here I come.

I did consider the idea of mounting a stone on your bike, and setting up a magnifier to heat it as you ride, and then when dinnertime came you would have a pre-heated hot stone. But I decided that might be a silly idea.

That's not quite as silly as it sounds and should work shouldn't it?
You'd have to have your tea before it got dark mind

Fab Foodie

I used to travel with a Trangia or gas stoves, but for my recent trips I invested in a Pocket Stove (the Ti version weighs nothing), a MyTi 600ml mug from Alpkit and an Alpkit wind shield.

The pocket stove will run on Hex blocks, Meths burner or twigs. Hex blocks are cheap, light, and faff-free (though yo get a bit of soot). The combo boils water well for tea/soup, but also holds a std 400ml can of soup, beans, rice bud etc. as a baine-marie and works really well.
The whole rig is small and light enough to carry in a small bag when out for an afternoon stroll.

IMG_4511.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4690.JPG

It all depends how gourmet or how quick you want to be!

Fab Foodie

Yes, if I'm riding and don't have a cafe stop planned I carry a few slices of their malt loaf.
I think a lot depends where you are. In the UK, you're rarely far from a source of food. The outer Hebrides or the Highlands can be a different matter. In the OH you needed 24hrs supply of food* rations because shops and eateries are few and far between....

*and beer of course....

Top Bottom