Long distance rides on folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roundthebendbromcycle

just wanted to share a lovely moment in norfolk, beautiful summers day, couldn't hear a car, stopped for a brew, always carry the essentials like a table, forgot the tablecloth though
bromtable.JPG

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
just wanted to share a lovely moment in norfolk, beautiful summers day, couldn't hear a car, stopped for a brew, always carry the essentials like a table, forgot the tablecloth though View attachment 93466

Ooo how exciting, I've got the same fold-up stools. My grandma gave me those when they finally gave up camping, well he died which is the same thing I guess.

Low Roller

Seeing as this is a folders forum, I thought I would try and lead us away from Strictly Bromptons.

I am searching the net for long distance rides on folders, RTW on folders, touring on folders, etc. But I cannot find any. Does anyone know the best place to look.

What folders would be considered suitable for long distance touring with camping gear?
I've got a three speed Brompton and a 27 speed Dahon Mu. I tried pedalling the Brompton about five miles with a trombone in a gig bag strapped to my back for a brass band event . It was slightly uphill ( towards Flamborough Head ) with a facing wind. I was utterly knackered with it. There is no question in my mind that if you want a sensible folder ( slightly less robust than a Brompton and slightly less compact) you go for a larger wheeled bike with more gears , like the Dahon.
I've lent the Brompton to my son who is much fitter than me and he thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread and butter.
So, if you are an old fart who gets off to walk up hills, don't get a Brompton.

Ridgeways

Regular
13. Sinai, track heading east, replenishing water.JPG

Belatedly contributing to this, having found this topic while searching the site for “Christian Miller” to thank whoever recommended her book, the beauty of the Bickerton for long-distance travel lies in the simple method of construction, that lends itself to adaptation more than any other bike I know of [including the modern versions]. The modifications need be only very minor, for added strength of certain components, but they can carry everything and more you ever need – and I too have travelled complete with boat.

The photo above is from a trip across the Sinai desert before paved roads made it into the interior. There had been a flash flood through the wadis a week or so previously, so I was taking the opportunity to replenish my water supply.

Should post an 'action' photo, but it's the only one I have handy, my Raleigh Twenty about to head off to do the Welsh end to end:

View attachment 296170

tbh with the small wheels and consequent low centre of gravity it handles at least as well as my regular touring bike. After I finished, I headed over to meet the OH, we threw it in the boot with her Dahon and headed off for a couple of weeks camping in Germany. The joy of folders!
I missed this post, but I think I agree the cheapest way to go touring on a folding bike that I would recommend would be to use a Raleigh 20 (Stowaway), I commuted on one for a few years and it was great, I would be happy to take one touring. You could go on Ebay and get a one for 50 quid and do it up, the main upgrades needed would be a good service and some modern high pressure tyres. They are really solid bikes will support the weight of all the the touring kit, simple to maintain and I think you can split them at the hinge so can pack them down to a very small size if you have the time and the need.

I've also ridden a Bickerton and I wouldn't recommend it unless the challenge is to ride the most unlikely bike!! I would recommend my Pacific Reach as an alternative to a Broughton, but its more expensive option (ditto Birdy, Airnamal etc). The only other thought I had was to use an normal sized folding Montague Paratrooper if that's your thing.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Should post an 'action' photo, but it's the only one I have handy, my Raleigh Twenty about to head off to do the Welsh end to end:

View attachment 296170

tbh with the small wheels and consequent low centre of gravity it handles at least as well as my regular touring bike. After I finished, I headed over to meet the OH, we threw it in the boot with her Dahon and headed off for a couple of weeks camping in Germany. The joy of folders!
@Hill Wimp
Everything is possible on a small wheeler :-)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
View attachment 342804
Belatedly contributing to this, having found this topic while searching the site for “Christian Miller” to thank whoever recommended her book, the beauty of the Bickerton for long-distance travel lies in the simple method of construction, that lends itself to adaptation more than any other bike I know of [including the modern versions]. The modifications need be only very minor, for added strength of certain components, but they can carry everything and more you ever need – and I too have travelled complete with boat.

The photo above is from a trip across the Sinai desert before paved roads made it into the interior. There had been a flash flood through the wadis a week or so previously, so I was taking the opportunity to replenish my water supply.
We're not worthy!!!!
That's a fair old chainset there!

Ridgeways

Regular
At the other extreme, if you can concentrate past my lady friend's legs, you can see the largest rear sprocket I tried out, that was larger than the small chain wheel. Not practical, because the derailleur mechanism could not cope with it and the chain had to be man-handled onto to it, but a bit of fun giving me about 14.3" lowest gear. It was a 38 tooth sprocket driven by the 34 tooth chain-wheel.

gearing.
Hampstead Heath, 1983.JPG

Top Bottom