Long distance rides on folders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes. I like that. It is less weight and you can remove the rack when you don't need it.

Where do you get the front rack from and does it get in the way or make the bike bigger when folded?
The front rack is the Brompton S-bag FRAME from a Brommie dealer or on-line. The Taller B-bag frames are also available. Costs £20.I then tie-wrapped a Carradice Camper Longflap onto it, but any saddle-bag will work. Thanks to @User I also have a more elegant single Pannier bag I can attach too.
Yes it makes the bike bigger when folded, but is easily lifted off (seconds).

Brommyboy

Über Member
My longest laden moving on distance by Brompton in the Scottish Highlands (Ullapool to Morvich) came to 87 miles. I was carrying full camping gear. How far do you wish to travel in a day?

Although you may be a bit optimistic to try touring on our friend the Strida :biggrin:

View attachment 89542
there is nothing so silly that someone hasn't tried it.

I saw this page a few years ago, it took some serious googling to find it again ....

http://www.a-basketful-of-papayas.net/2011/09/to-north-sea.html

CIMG0738.JPG

(when I saw the subject, i was going to say I've done the DunRun + many 100km rides on my Mezzo, but that's not near the distance you mean)

Attachments

• CIMG0738.JPG
    CIMG0738.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 73

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Attachments

• CIMG0738.JPG
    CIMG0738.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 66

HelenD123

Guru
You wanted to get away from Bromptons so how about an Airnimal and two Birdys :smile:. We carried full camping and cooking gear and even did a red mountain bike route by accident with no problems. Having the folders gave us the flexibility to change our plans and just jump on any train. The Airnimal doesn't fold very neatly but I love it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jef, I just couldnt. It may do the job but it is seriously ugly in my eyes.

Ive looked at the Airnimal and they do not fold as neatly as the Brompton and they are also very expensive.

roundthebendbromcycle

Heinz Stücke now has a brompton, he left his job as a toolmaker at 22 and has been travelling the world ever since, he never did it all on a brompton, just useful for ticking off all those tiny islands off his list, I guess. I was never that smart at 22, still not.

There was that postman that went round england on one, he liked it so much he went back the other way, he pulled a frame with a car top box on it, huge thing in comparison. spose it was lockable.

For my part my arse has had enough at about 60 miles (with stops) I use a city folding trailer for travelling with a small converted rucksack bag on the front, the biggest problem is that once you are up to speed you really forget its there, very low C of G, the whole thing can be carried onto the train in one go.

I'd secretly love a birdy (opps!)

nice try to lead us away from bromptons Steve

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I'm missing something here .. why ride a Brompton if you are stuck with something the size of a small car behind you ?

Last edited:

Twowheelxtc

Wife and I have a couple of Bike Fridays in our collection. One is a Crusoe lightweight tourer and the other a Silk with Alfine 11sp hub, belt drive, drop bars and discs They have been great for tours that involve flying as they fit (with a bit of dismantling and swearing) into Samsonite suitcases so go as normal luggage and are well protected. We've ridden Thailand, Laos and Sri Lanka on them and they ride pretty well....probably better than most small wheel bikes. The advantage of 20" wheels is that they roll ok and tubes and tyres are available just about anywhere and there is a good selection of both touring and faster slicks. Japan is a possibility for us next year.
The problem with a Bike Friday is the crazy prices largely due to the import duty and VAT (they evan charge VAT on the import duty would you believe).
I wouldn't choose to ride them on a club ride but for a leisurely tour they do have their merits.....buses, trains and hotel rooms being just a few.

Bodhbh

Guru
Should post an 'action' photo, but it's the only one I have handy, my Raleigh Twenty about to head off to do the Welsh end to end:

R20%20touring_zpsq8zdw0tl.jpg

tbh with the small wheels and consequent low centre of gravity it handles at least as well as my regular touring bike. After I finished, I headed over to meet the OH, we threw it in the boot with her Dahon and headed off for a couple of weeks camping in Germany. The joy of folders!

Top Bottom