Long distance saddle sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I got my current saddle (which I do now find comfy but havent been more than 50 miles on) I hadnt figured that i'd be drawn toward riding for longer distance / all day rides.

It seems to make sense that I get a saddle that is up to the job. Brookes' B17 seems to get good reviews on the search ive done, but....

(a) would they sit on my carbon seatpost ok?

(b) are there any others worth a peep at?

Cheers, Neil

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
fizik arione.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I bought a Brooks B17 Narrow, loved it so much I bought another 2 for my other bikes. A very comfortable saddle. I fitted one to a carbon seat post no problem at all.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Bear in mind that Brooks rails only have a short section at regular spacing so you may not be able to get the saddle far enough back without a laid-back seat post. That said, I find the Ti-railed Brooks Swift incredibly comfortable for long day rides (300 km tops so far - hopefully a bit further this year). B17 would be way too wide for me.

This looks great, and reviews are really good + can get colour combo to fit the bike.... thanks.
Don't be hasty, like any saddle they don't fit everyone, the Fizik murdered me and I had to sell it on at a loss. Brooks can at least be broken in sooner or later to fit you but even then not always. Recommending a saddle is largely a pointless exercise as many on here will tell you.

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Dang! - I was ready to buy. Well, almost - there's quite a few varations of the same model. I will try and wait till the weekend so I can mull things over. Its not easy when you've got a few dollars burning a big hole in your pocket.

Tynan

Veteran
I always wonder how many uncomfortable saddles are just not in the right position

I certainlyrode a lot with saddles not quite right, it notices on a long ride, once I went to the trouble of tinkering it's perfect, no longer a problem

I always wonder how many uncomfortable saddles are just not in the right position

I certainlyrode a lot with saddles not quite right, it notices on a long ride, once I went to the trouble of tinkering it's perfect, no longer a problem

Yes agreed, but it's not usually the saddles that are wrongly positioned it's the person on the bike who is either too stretched out [frame too big, a common problem] in which case the body weight on the saddle is too far forward, or the rider is too upright meaning more overall weight on the saddle, not good for long rides. Absolutely no point in looking for a comfortable saddle if you are in the wrong position to start with - and I've seen far too many.

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Absolutely no point in looking for a comfortable saddle if you are in the wrong position to start with - and I've seen far too many.

I'm sure this is so, but this bike was 'made to measure' - and tbh, my current saddle has been quite acceptable - but with the prospect of 100k+ I thought i'd treat myself to one that was more likely to be comfy for longer. Ive chosen the Fizik Arione, so ta for all the tips. Neil

Top Bottom