Long Johns - Are the Cheap Non-Merino Good? Any Good deals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itaa

that time of the year...I have been looking at picking up longjohns , the merino ones are bloody expensive starting from £45-£50 for good quality tights is nuts, I had a look at the aldi merino ones , they looked really really cheap tat quality so didn't got them. (nothing left in my size anyway).

Had a look at lidl long johns they have now at 5.99 (non merino) they looked very poor/weird quality as well,

Also are the non-merino stuff even worth considering?
I have loads of merino stuff and it's great specially because you rarely have to wash it and the warmth is provides, but all of that stuff I have picked up for dirt cheap in sales.
I know you shouldn't get cotton however I do not want to wear plastic bottles as well..

I plan to use them maybe a few times a week when it gets too cold for just going out/biking,nothing serious..

Looking for input from those who have had Both Merino and the Plastic bottle ones,how do they compare?
Anyone maybe knows any good deals around?

numbnuts

Legendary Member

bluenotebob

Veteran
I use McKinley brand - 100% polyester - on the bike. It can be so damn cold inside my house in the winter that I often find myself wearing them all day too, and I've even slept in them on occasion.

I think I paid around 8 euros for them.

McKinley also do Merino longjohns but I'm struggling to convert Canadian dollars (per their website) to euros.

Anyway, as a brand name, I can recommend them - whether they fit in with your price range is up to you

Smudge

Veteran
I've had numerous thermal leggings over the decades of riding motorcycles. Some of them with all sorts of technical claims of thermal and wicking properties. Marketing BS most of it.
I've found 100% cotton is no good for insulation, so forget that.
The ones i've found as good as any, are the old style cheap, ribbed, poly/cotton mix long johns.

pjd57

Veteran
I just stick a pair of cheap base layer bottoms on under my usual black lycra .
Works for me

Bodhbh

Guru
I know you shouldn't get cotton however I do not want to wear plastic bottles as well..

I plan to use them maybe a few times a week when it gets too cold for just going out/biking,nothing serious..

I use poly/cotton thermals both for cycling and working in the back yard. They work fine on the commute, but probably hold too much water and take too long to dry for anything hardcore.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
that time of the year...I have been looking at picking up longjohns , the merino ones are bloody expensive starting from £45-£50 for good quality tights is nuts, I had a look at the aldi merino ones , they looked really really cheap tat quality so didn't got them. (nothing left in my size anyway).

Had a look at lidl long johns they have now at 5.99 (non merino) they looked very poor/weird quality as well,

Also are the non-merino stuff even worth considering?
I have loads of merino stuff and it's great specially because you rarely have to wash it and the warmth is provides, but all of that stuff I have picked up for dirt cheap in sales.

Looking for input from those who have had Both Merino and the Plastic bottle ones,how do they compare?
Anyone maybe knows any good deals around?

I got a couple of did of Aldi ones at £18 a pair last year, perfectly fine.

Top Bottom