1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

longer seat post needed.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DLB, 12 Jan 2008.

1. DLB

DLB Senior Member

Since buying my hybrid just over a year ago i've been riding it with the seatpost about 3 or 4cm above the max insertion line. Yes, i know, a bad idea which could damage the frame :biggrin:. So i have finally got round to buying a replacement. The problem i have is that wiggle and CRC only give the overall length of the seatpost and not the height above the max insertion level. How can i know if the post will be long enough.

Please don't suggest the LBS as one couldn't help me and i wouldn't go in the other if it was the last shop on earth.

Oh and i'm on a slim budget (post xmas - the cheaper the better) and don't care about reducing weight

Any advice would be nice :biggrin:

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

If you work on a figure of 25% of the overall length for minimum frame insertion you should be ok.

3. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

Thanks SJ

4. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

Just looking around on wiggle CRC etc and i've found a seatpost that's 400mm by 27.0 for for £12. I need a 400mm by 27.2mm. So only 0.2 mm difference. Can i use this post or is it a bad idea?

The next cheapest post that i can find in black 400mmx27.2 is nearly double the price and i could do with saving the cash difference if possible.

5. k-dog

k-dog New Member

6. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

that'll work, but it will be heavy

8. OP
    OP
    DLB

DLB Senior Member

Thanks Steve. I'm not worried about the weight as the bike is heavy anyway and esp. when i have panniers on it.

Thanks for all the help guys.