Longest cycle / 24hrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
When I was a youth, Chester to Nottingham on a not that light a bike, had it down as 100 miles but Komoot is suggesting it was 99.2. Still that was back on the day of string along the OS map to work out a distance. The last leg of a ride to North Wales, the lengthy outbound ride was truncated by use of the train as far as Uttoxeter if IIRC. What I do recall is a Man U hooligan seeking to throw me off the moving train :angry:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
172 1/2 miles to hull and back.

I learnt that that was too long for my satnav, that a persistent 20 mile headwind is annoying and that there appears to be a huge mountain between Wakefield and Huddersfield that no one seems to have noticed.

Don't blame you for going back!

presta

Guru
I thought a good test would be to ‘try’ the 205 miles
I had an itch to do ~200 Braintree to Leeds non-stop after I did the 150, but it never happened.
The route was remarkably similar to @presta 's route
Fairly flat innit, even by Essex standards, especially the Clacton-Colchester leg. The only lump of any consequence is the Tiptree W/Bishops ridge, a lot of my training routes go over that as it's one of the few opportunities around here for climbing.
eating regularly during the ride rather than powering on because you think you'll lose time
I didn't learn that on the long ride, but I have learnt that if I'm riding all day I need to stop and eat every hour, and particularly so if I'm riding every day.
inevitably she managed to fall in the drink ...
I fell off on the towpath at Skipton once after my relatively smooth Marathon hit a patch of liquid mud. Fortunately I landed on the dry side.

Jameshow

Veteran
I did 428 miles in the National 24 Hour TT in 2006, but that was split between two calendar days. In a single calendar day, it's probably 250 miles in the National 12 in 2002.

I would suggest that's a day...!

Windle

Über Member
I did 428 miles in the National 24 Hour TT in 2006, but that was split between two calendar days. In a single calendar day, it's probably 250 miles in the National 12 in 2002.

That's similar to the most miles I've ever done in a week! And that was a long time ago. There was a sort of unofficial thing in our club of trying to do 500 miles in a week, but I never quite managed that much. The longest I did involved a couple of days off, a long Sunday club run then a solo ride down to Rosedale Chimney bank to see the Kelloggs Tour (1987 ?), where I racked up about 130 something miles for the day, plus a good few decent rides through the week. Since starting back again in January I've managed a mere flea hop of about 15 miles! On my previous return to the saddle about fifteen years ago (I come and go), I did about 40 miles of railway paths on the MTB (Waskerley down to Cox Green near Sunderland via Hownsgill, Consett, Birtley, Beamish etc. and return. Many years ago (early nineties I think) I did a 162 mile day, which involved a club 150 reliability trial, plus ride to the start & back home after.

Tomm Williams

I’ve been trying to build up to a double century for over a year but the progress has been slow. My longest so far is 130 miles in 12 hrs. What I’ve been continuously learning is that nutrition has everything to do with completing these types of rides. I also discovered that aero bars can be very helpful in both increasing speed and taking pressure off certain muscles.
At 62 I’m not sure I’ll ever reach 200 miles but I’m not done trying.

Top Bottom