Longest ride coming up tomorrow morning, wish me luck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irishrich

Über Member
I'm taking part in a sportive called 'Lap the Lough' which follows the route around Lough Neagh, Ireland's largest fresh water lake. The route is 85 miles with no major climbs thankfully and hopefully on decent roads. My previous longest ride was a few weeks ago on another sportive that was 60 miles which I finished in the top quarter and with no problems. I was fairly comfortable over 60 miles but worry that the extra 25 miles this time could stretch my stamina and legs. Any last minute tips before I go to bed in an hour for a good nights rest??

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Good luck!
...i know little but if it were me id be thinking 'pace myself' especially early on in the ride

Moodyman

Legendary Member
25 miles on top of the 60 you're used to is not too difficult. Just pace yourself. I tell myself if the pace I'm doing can't be sustained all day, then I'm going too fast and will slow down to a sustainable effort level.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
Pace is the slight issue as I've been asked to tag along with a group of riders who are friends with my uncle and they are experienced in rides like this. I was told their average over the 85 miles last year was 18.5mph. My average on solo rides is about 17.5mph but not over a distance of 85 miles. On the 60 mile sportive I averaged 17.3mph so will it be possible to step up another 1mph in a group??

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm new to this road bike thing but I hassle people in local parks by tucking in behind them and tagging along . I have learnt to tell them I am there after Mr Snotty decided to blow out his nose in Richmond park !
Letting someone else take the wind for just a few minutes gives your legs a rest while still keeping the same speed . Youre then able to overtake with ease but its only polite for you to take the wind for them and let them tuck in behind you .
I seem to always hook up with other cyclists that are doing the same laps and speed as me , not to chat but so I can use them and they can use me . That sounds wrong ! :stop:

classic33

Leg End Member
Best o'luck, enjoy yourself. And don't be put off by the increase in distance.
Ireland has only the one lake by the way.

OP
OP
Irishrich

Irishrich

Über Member
I'm home and in great shape, not even a twinge lol. Just looked at your ride and can you believe that we basically did it at the same time and speed.

Take a look: http://www.strava.com/activities/77382580

I did an extra half mile to get to the start at a slow pace which accounted for my extra 2 mins more than you but our avg mph is 18.6 so no winners out of us. I'm totally chuffed with the ride as I never imagined getting through 86 miles at 18.6 mph avg. Great day and im buzzing, and to top it off im off work tomorrow for a bank holiday so I'm having a well deserved beer tonight with the mrs.

Top Bottom