Look after my bills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've just signed up to the above company (apparently the creators where on Dragon's Den). My predicted savings are £168/year. That's not bad. I'm not advertising them as such but it's worth looking into if you want someone to shop around for you each year. They don't switch you if you would incur a cancellation fee.

Also before you start, you have to put your bank details in in order to register. If that puts you off then probably not worth doing.

Finally, if you refer a friend both you and the friend get £40 off.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've just signed up to the above company (apparently the creators where on Dragon's Den). My predicted savings are £168/year. That's not bad. I'm not advertising them as such but it's worth looking into if you want someone to shop around for you each year. They don't switch you if you would incur a cancellation fee.

Also before you start, you have to put your bank details in in order to register. If that puts you off then probably not worth doing.

Finally, if you refer a friend both you and the friend get £40 off.
Which company would that be?
Linky please. :scratch:

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I also had a "discounted" internet bill tied in with my utilities, which i will now have to change, but shopping around for internet only I can find loads of deals that are roughly half the price I was paying. I just did it all for ease when I moved in because I had too much other stuff on my plate. And none of the (gas, electric, internet) plans have a contract.

But do they actually save you any money? Most price comparison sites over estimate gas and electric usage so it looks like a saving but isn’t really.

I always check the unit price and the standing charges and make sure they are the same price or as near as possible to the previous contract. Haven’t got much choice on my water supplier though.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But do they actually save you any money? Most price comparison sites over estimate gas and electric usage so it looks like a saving but isn’t really.

I always check the unit price and the standing charges and make sure they are the same price or as near as possible to the previous contract. Haven’t got much choice on my water supplier though.

I have vaguely heard of this company as I saw the pitch on Dragon's Den. There is a similar company called Utility Waterhouse who get very good reviews on Which?

Personally I'm very suspicious as their profits must come from savings I could make.

I've reduced my energy bills from £1150pa to £798 for the last 12 months over 4 years. As @bikingdad90 says the key is research. For the next 12 months the increase looks like £150 in the face of rising energy prices but as this is still lower than 4 years ago I'm reasonably happy.

I set up a simple spreadsheet showing usage in units per annum, cost per unit, standing charge, other discounts (dual fuel, direct debit etc.). You only need to do this once.

Run the price comparison websites to get the best potential deals and plug in to the spreadsheet. You should find a reduction or no increase. There could be as much as £100pa difference in suppliers plus green energy etc.

Don't believe the headline figures as these usually compare the highest rates against the best deal. Savings of £3-400pa only happen the first time you switch, if at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think if you are inherently lazy and have not been switching yearly then there are savings to be made. Certainly for me, there are no savings to be made, in fact it would cost to switch.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
But do they actually save you any money?
Well, I was told I would save £168 per year, but as you say this won't be clear until I start receiving bills. They've probably pushe dit more now, as some people might switch and use less heating etc now the weather is getting warmer, so think they're saving. Whatever the case, I was paying double what I needed to for internet which was tied into my utilities with Utility Warehouse, so even if I save nothing on utilities, I may end up saving £10 - £15/month on internet.

The thing that most attracted me to do this was that they'll search and compare for you every year. I'm good with car and bike insurance but comparing utilities etc is one thing too much for me, so I'm glad for someone else to do it.

Someone asked how do they make their money? Well they'll take a commission for each person they switch, which I don't mind. After all, they are doing the work for me.

Top Bottom