Look at this cutie I spotted in Ipswich this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter. Painting yourself with fluoro doesn't make you statistically any less likely to get augured by a car, such efforts to k crease ones conspicuity bring no proven benefit. If someone's looking, they'll see it - if they ain't they simply won't.

simongt

Guru
How the bleedin' hell would you not see that?

Probably the same way that when you are cruising and wearing hi-viz clothing & have enough lights to challenge Blackpool illuminations, a car pulls out in front of you :eek: and the driver says - 'Oh sorry pal, I didn't see you'. :evil:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Probably the same way that when you are cruising and wearing hi-viz clothing & have enough lights to challenge Blackpool illuminations, a car pulls out in front of you :eek: and the driver says - 'Oh sorry pal, I didn't see you'. :evil:
But that hardly makes a recumbent more dangerous than any other bike, does it?

And in answer to Reiver, if they were skywatching or updating their Facebook status they'd be just as likely to hit another car as any bike. And I think that cycle would stand out a bit more than a yellow road marking.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
[QUOTE 4904424, member: 9609"]but that is the problem, they could be looking at the Sky, or updating their arsebook profile, there are plenty who drive with only cursory glances ahead, you need to stay big, obvious and right in their line of vision. I would fear the [whateveritwas] may just look like some yellow road markings[/QUOTE]
You sound like you're terrified to leave the house.

[QUOTE 4904224, member: 9609"]... some folk will never see him. ...[/QUOTE]
Really?

How many people would NOT notice ... damn it, looks like Donald Duck doing a runner! Methinks a real problem would be people seeing him, and whipping out their mobile phones. [Not you, @Andrew_Culture :eek::wacko:]

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Having never been in one - how does one indicate? Plus - do they get involved in more filtering incidents than uprights?
Indicators as standard on velomobiel.nl bikes (the Quest, the one in the vid, Strada and Quattrovelo) & either standard or optional on those from other manufacturers.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4904782, member: 9609"]

so why do police put blue flashing lights on ?[/QUOTE]

Because they're told to. Having said that, their behaviour is so unusual, so different to prevailing traffic flow, that it doesn't bear comparison

Much like the EU tells car manufacturers to install DRLs right across Europe, despite there being no evidence it makes any safety improvement outside of a sub arctic climate.

Like the EU nearly introduced mandatory leg protection for new motorcycles in the Eighties, despite evidence showing that in severe collisions they tore riders in half at the hip. It was only frantic efforts of the manufacturers that stopped this at the 11th hour. In fact, it was later discovered that the EU mandarin responsible for this, and other, attempts at introducing oppressive motorcycling legislation had suffered the indignity of his wife having an affair with a biker, hence his rabid efforts at ridiculous and unproven safety legislation. His personal vendetta against everything two wheeled was quietly coveted up.

Like the regulations that dictate people wear hardhats in certain perceived high risk environments, despite their being no physical means by which anything could fall upon their heads. Such as walking round a building site on day one before any work has actually begun.

We are told to do many things in the name of safety, but in surprisingly few cases is there any actual science that proves a safety benefit. The bulk is based upon perceived wisdom, which usually contains very little actual wisdom at all.

Perceived wisdom misguides, misdirects, and misinforms. Do not give it credence.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Why so? The thread appears to have been started for discussion of an interesting and unusual machine but seems to have been steered into discussion of camoflage and daytime running lights which is more of a topic for the Safety and Advocacy section.

fixedfixer

Veteran
I do rather like these velo's. I saw some examples of using something called coroplastic (that may not be the correct name) that a guy had used to make a fairing for a trike. Maybe we'll see @voyager adding this type of thing to one of her builds. :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yup. This was in Rad Mac. I think the other was Tom Ravenscroft, but if you say you're from Ipswich you stand a good chance of Tom mentioning you as he's a local lad.
I've had Jarvis and Rad Mac reading out my correspondence :okay:.... but was livid a couple of weeks ago when Guy Garvey didn't play my Song for Guy recommendation :thumbsdown: Elbow are shyte anyway ^_^

Top Bottom