Look Keo Grip Cleats.....last 5 minutes max!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I recently started using Look Keo road pedals and have got through 2 sets of cleats in no time (one normal and the other 'grip' cleats)

The 'grip' part of the cleat broke off within 3 rides and then a large chunk of the plastic at the front of the cleat just snapped off on the 4th ride. At £15 a pop it's awful quality really. I hardly do any walking in them.

My Shimano SPD cleats are still going strong after 6 years. I'm lucky to get 6 rides out of Keo cleats.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
6 rides? That's not a lot, I've got to admit they wear down quickly but not that fast ie a few months and this is when I was doing a lot of miles- is there anything you're doing which might be accelerating wear? The rubber grip bit is just marketing gumph -that'll wear off after one/two rides.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
the problem is actually with the front part of the cleat snapping off. The plastic is soft but they don't stay in one piece long enough for me to wear them down. the grip part is quite useful for walking but does make it slighty slower to get the foot clipped in - but like you say, it's worn off within a couple of rides.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've never had problems with it snapping off just wearing down quickly. Are your clipping in and out efforts quite forceful? Have you tried adjusting the spring to loosen it? I think iirc that can be done as it sounds either like you're using too much brute force or the setting is too over zealously tight

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
No, clipping-in is quite easy and light, as with clipping-out. I think walking is the problem so I try and do as little as possible. I think my weight on the front of the cleat when I walk is enough to break it off (I am quite heavy for a roadie at 100kg)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ah I see that makes sense now. The suggestion I have in that case is to get a set of cleat covers - about a fiver from chain reaction. Though have to admit - keo pedals are not easiest things to walk in whatever your weight! Hope that does the trick?

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I commute with Keo's - they wear down at the front after 6months, as I have to walk through a foot tunnel each day (@180 steps too), plus I must put my foot down at least 6 times, so it is always my right foot that goes first. They do give you the gait of a pregnant camel. As far as running costs go, 15 quid every 6 months is only the price of 5 pints.

amaferanga

Veteran
Decathlon sell Keo cleats for £7.99 (or £12.99 for the grip variant).

Cleat covers will help, but I can't get my head around how you could snap the front of the cleat off while walking - do you walk on your tip toes?

py6km

I have a pair of Look Keo, and I must say that I wasn't impressed at how quickly the cleats looked as though they would be useless. I've rarely used them, and there is some definite wear and damage that I would consider to be over and above what it should be. Still, a consumable item I suppose.

Chrisz

Über Member
I have also found the Look Keo cleats to be very soft!

I rode Shimano DA SPD-SL for years and years (replaced the cleats once) but they were silver/grey. I recently replaced them with Look Keo Carbon Max 2 pedals and the cleats are already showing serious signs of wear. I also find them much more difficult to hook in at the toe (once there, clipping in is relatively easy).

I am now waiting for Shimano to produce the DA pedals in black (to match my carbon cranks). ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Don't walk on the cleat. Heel then cleat, heel then cleat. Easy when you get the hang of it, and helps with ware and tear on the cleats.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
gaz said:
Don't walk on the cleat. Heel then cleat, heel then cleat. Easy when you get the hang of it, and helps with ware and tear on the cleats.

Sounds like a variant on "toe heel" , are you a closet boy race3r Gaz? ;)

py6km

gaz said:

Even doing that they wear very easily

redjedi

Über Member
6 rides does sound excessively quick. The rubber grip doesn't last that long and soon gets ripped off, but I usually get 4-5 months of use out of them, even when I wore them for commuting.
I've had the front snap off once, but they had worn down a lot and were very thin.

I've also managed to wear out a brand new set in the space of a couple of hours when a van clipped and bent my rear wheel, and I had to carry my bike 3 miles to the nearest open bike shop ;) Even more annoying is that I have a pair of cleat covers but I had left them at home. They are always in my pocket now.

The covers seem to be very hard to find at the moment.

Sprockets may have some, or Edinburgh bike Co-op

or as above

Top Bottom