Look Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
I've decided to go clipless and decided on Road shoes over spd.
Now looking at pedals, are LOOK any good? As I have my eye on some LOOK Easy pedals.
All should i go for the Classic? Then again would Shimano 105's be more suitable?
unsure.gif

e-rider

crappy member
I like LOOK pedals BUT the cleats wear out in about 10 minutes and cost a small fortune for new ones (£16). For this reason I'd never buy LOOK pedals again.

I have the LOOK keo classics

Have a look at TIME or Shimano

Clx1

Look Keo Classics are excellent pedals, the cleats will last at least six months or 3 to 5000 miles if used properly ie riding the bike and not walking great distances.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have Look Keo Classics. Clip in very positively and weigh less than shimano spd-sl equivelant. The cleats cost less than spd-sl cleats. The one word of warning though they are slippery on smooth surfaces. You can get covers for them if you intend to walk any distance. here are a few options.

e-rider

crappy member
Look Keo Classics are excellent pedals, the cleats will last at least six months or 3 to 5000 miles if used properly ie riding the bike and not walking great distances.

I have to disagree with this. I walk about 20m per ride max and mine never last more than 1000 miles.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Look Keo Grip cleats are a ridiculous price - rrp now 19.99. Why? The best deal I can now find is around 14.99 delivered. You can buy the pedals for less than 40.00 (including cleats), and Exustar look-alikes for around 25.00. You can't avoid some walking on the cleats and they don't represent good value to me. You can get old style ones for around 9.99, but these are the ones that are very slippery. Both bikes have Look Keo Classics so I am stuck paying through the nose for a couple of pieces of moulded plastic. I know you can use cleat covers but it is such a faff .....
By the way - I only ever replace the cleats one at a time - they always wear unequally, and this helps spread the cost.
Has anyone used the Exustar 'Look' cleats?

adscrim

Veteran
The gripper cleats on my shoes are almost a year old and show little sign of wear - cleat covers. It's not actually that much of a faff.

youngoldbloke

If the cleat covers are that good why not make the cleats out of the same stuff? :whistle: I find them a faff, anyway!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Any road cleat system where a nylon cleat stands proud of the sole of the shoe and comes directly in contact with tarmac and concrete is going to wear if walked on. Keos are cheaper than spd sl for a basic cleat but a couple of pounds more for anti slip. I got over 3000 miles out of my last set and am on 1000 miles on my current set with little visible wear. If you want something that is not going to wear get mtb style cleats and shoes.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I really find the Look Keo cleats comfortable and they clip in really well - the only time clipping in is an issue is when they've worn down. Unfortunately my cleats do tend to wear down quickly- lots of stop starting at traffic lights where I am and I also use cleat covers if I'm going to be walking on them;not a faff at all.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I had Look many moons ago and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
This was influenced by their grippiness on cafe floors, which is nearly as good as grabbing a well-greased fish with soapy hands.
In the ensuing chaos I nearly dropped my tea and cake. Nearly...

Rebel Ian

I had SPDs on my Specialized (still have in fact) but chose to put Look Keos on the Bianchi. I much prefer the Look pedals. They clip in more solidly than the SPDs and whilst walking on any cleats is a pain I'd rather put up with increased wear for what to me is a better product.

youngoldbloke

No complaints about the performance of the pedals or cleats - just the (ever-increasing, at a rate way-above-inflation) price of the two pieces of plastic.

amaferanga

Veteran
I get the non-grip cleats from decathlon for £9.99. Last a while since I almost always carry cleat covers with me and use them for any walking.

Top Bottom