Look Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for the advice, I think I will go for the Look classic.
Will get some cleat covers as well!
unsure.gif

Crazy choice - I have look keo classics and although they work fine, the cleat issues (slipperyness, cost and durability) should stop you buying them. You can get equally good pedals that don't have any of these issues.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Crazy choice - I have look keo classics and although they work fine, the cleat issues (slipperyness, cost and durability) should stop you buying them. You can get equally good pedals that don't have any of these issues.

What would you suggest as a road pedal/cleat that are as good?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
High on bikes £12.99

?????? - if you mean Keo cleats they are now 14.95. If I were to replace my pedals and shoes I would get Shimano A520s, or maybe the Wellgo road SPDs. Both of these look good and suit road bikes. I think Decathlon sell a version of the Wellgos.

GrasB

Veteran
At the end of the dat tundragumski is blowing the Look 'problem' out of all proportion! The reality is that Look KEO platform is no worse than other SPD SL style cleat systems (especially if you use 3rd party KEO cleats) in the grand scheme of things. Look cleats wear a bit faster as Look use a much softer plastic than other manufactures, one problem is that they wear quicker & the plastic they use isn't that grippy (hence their grip cleats), however with original KEOs I've not had reason to take a knife to cleat & shave off splintered plastic from a bad miss-clip, which can't be said for SPD SL, I-CLIC, Mavic Road Cleats & the 3rd party KEO cleats.

So if you don't want those problems you've got to look at radically different cleat designs, that means MTB/CX clipless systems or one of the Speedplay road series (I'd recommend the Zero if you go down that road), of course these have different sets of compromises leading to other problems.

A Picture of around 5200 mile old KEO cleats I used for commuting:
KEO-5200miles.jpg

bad boy

Über Member
I've just put some looks classics on my new bike and find walking short distances a nightmare.

To be fair this should not be a consideration in my opinion for buying the pedals as someone said buy SPD's if it is. Pedals are lighter than 105's and have a good platform for power transfer through the stroke. They can squeak however !!

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
Blimey, don't know what to do?
blush.gif

Starting to go off the idea of Look pedals, too much faffing trouble! Might go for Shimano 105's instead.
Just off for a ride to ponder!
bicycle.gif

bad boy

Über Member
In short all cleats on road shoes don't take well to walking in don't let this form part of your decision cleats and pedals are for ridding not walking and look classics are excellent pedals lighter than 105's I personally didn't even consider them as I don't run shimano on my race bike

Clx1

Blimey, don't know what to do?
blush.gif

Starting to go off the idea of Look pedals, too much faffing trouble! Might go for Shimano 105's instead.
Just off for a ride to ponder!
bicycle.gif

Do not be put off by the posters claiming that the cleats don't last, it's all relative. At around 18 pounds a set and as I said before I get around 5000 miles out of a pair(and I don't use cleat covers). For me that's an outlay of 36 pounds a year, nothing in comparison to my total cycling spend. Do you think that Look would be one of the most popular pedal systems if they were as bad as some of the previous posters claim them to be.
Try them and you won't be disapointed.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Look Keo are great except for the short life span of the cleats as mentioned above. They wear out just looking at them.

Top Bottom