Looking for a cheap helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
(Note: Missed out the ? in the title! Is it possible for a mod to put it there plz?)
Been browsing around as I do and came across this Chinese made camera. Now we all know oh god Chinese hissssss!!!! However this seems to be a very good cheap camera. Something I have been considering for a handlebar camera since is very cheap 1080p and comes with all the stuff I need.
A very long indepth review here and covers all aspects of the camera. A good watch. For £60 it looks smashing apart from the limitations with cases and some mounts but not all. However not the spoil too much. Video is below.

Link to where you can buy it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-HD-10...ctronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item1c338582a9

I know some people have been looking for a cheap good camera and then go with ACT garbage. Anyhow thought I would share this as it does look very good and for a cheap £60

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with Chinese gear. They've started late, with deep pockets, so they tend to build their factories with the latest and best kit installed. Which helps when you're making stuff like that. I have a Chinese phone - an Orange San Francisco, aka ZTE Blade - and very good it is too.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Nothing wrong with Chinese gear. They've started late, with deep pockets, so they tend to build their factories with the latest and best kit installed. Which helps when you're making stuff like that. I have a Chinese phone - an Orange San Francisco, aka ZTE Blade - and very good it is too.

Indeed that's very much true but it does have a stereotype for poor quality which still stands in most industry that it goes into. The tech industry being one of them. Although most of the time the stuffs made in china regarding tech goods anyhow as they have a cap of the raw materials for such goods that they only have in a large supply, so cut out the middle Americans brands and go straight to china brands. However again quality assurance is somewhat void. Also Japan has discovered some of the raw matierals need (cant remember what its called) in their oceans so we could see that change.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
dont do it! it will ruin your enjoyment of cycling!!

Says the person who has never had one. Hmm......... seems legit.
You buy a camera and you don't enjoy cycling anymore the problem is not with the camera. The camera records and does it job. The problem lies with the person.

Reactions: gaz

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Okay camera but I wouldnt go for it. Maybe if a better brand came out with something similar for the same price then yeah. It also looks very chunky and only suitable for bar mounting.

I do love TechMoan's videos. I have watched loads of vids on action cameras and he is very good at reviewing them.

puch

Regular
Nothing wrong with Chinese gear.

Really? Much of the Chinese made stuff I've bought over the last 10 years has been consistently shoddy. From plumbing fittings to electronic goods to trainers to, would you believe, climbing carabiners. Then there's the accusation of 'prejudice' against Chinese goods and pandering to stereotypes whenever this opinion is aired. Some Chinese made goods are ok, many are not.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Don't do it, you'll turn into MatthewT! a nobber

FTFY

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Really? Much of the Chinese made stuff I've bought over the last 10 years has been consistently shoddy. From plumbing fittings to electronic goods to trainers to, would you believe, climbing carabiners. Then there's the accusation of 'prejudice' against Chinese goods and pandering to stereotypes whenever this opinion is aired. Some Chinese made goods are ok, many are not.

Of course. I overstated the case. Nothing (necessarily) wrong with Chinese goods. They do of course also make a lot of garbage.

BSRU

A Human Being
It's a punt, if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.
The main problem with ordering from China is when the device goes faulty or arrives faulty.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Seriously good video quality from the clips on the reviewer's blog. Better than my Sony AS10 and Contour+. Even the youtube footage looks good.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Looks like a pile of junk, notice how his clips were mostly standing still and only one was really moving in a situation we might see (on his motorbike) and that was poor, you could hear it rattling.

For a camera to be any good you NEED to have a good solid mounting system and I don't think that camera is going to off you that. Save a bit of extra money and buy a cheap contour.

Top Bottom