Looking for a cheap helmet cam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
On the evidence of the raw video clips from his blog, I think it is worth a punt. The 60mb 1080p clip of motorbike footage is very impressive - no green smearing at speed of trees and vegetation, pin-sharp across the screen. Bit of a lesson there for Sony in how to get good 1080p image quality at 16mbps without major compression artefacts.

I'm fairly confident I can modify the case mount to be more stable, also to hopefully get rid of the circular cropping imposed by the lens screen.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The main problem with ordering from China is when the device goes faulty or arrives faulty.

the link in the OP is from Wales.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Looks like a pile of junk, notice how his clips were mostly standing still and only one was really moving in a situation we might see (on his motorbike) and that was poor, you could hear it rattling.

For a camera to be any good you NEED to have a good solid mounting system and I don't think that camera is going to off you that. Save a bit of extra money and buy a cheap contour.

The rattle is due to the case rather than a issue with the camera. Indeed the mounting system could be better however its not a deal killer as they still work just not great. Also talking camera to camera image this is on par with the gopro silver and Sony AS10 I would say. In addition picture quality is no where as good on the contour so it depends what you're looking for.

MontyVeda

The rattle is due to the case rather than a issue with the camera. Indeed the mounting system could be better however its not a deal killer as they still work just not great. Also talking camera to camera image this is on par with the gopro silver and Sony AS10 I would say.

the camera rattling inside the case could easily be remedied with a couple of slithers of foam.

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
the camera rattling inside the case could easily be remedied with a couple of slithers of foam.

Indeed. I would say more was put into the camera than the mounting systems but that depends what you want. However I think I would sacrifice the LCD for a thinner camera. The LCD is a nice feature.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The rattle is due to the case rather than a issue with the camera. Indeed the mounting system could be better however its not a deal killer as they still work just not great. Also talking camera to camera image this is on par with the gopro silver and Sony AS10 I would say. In addition picture quality is no where as good on the contour so it depends what you're looking for.
I'm skepticle about how good the quality will be, we need to see it used on a bicycle. You buy one and then we can see :P

BSRU

A Human Being
still gotta be coming from Wales though... if the delivery estimate of around 4-8 days is accurate.
I got caught by that one, dispatched from the UK via Royal Mail but returns have to go to China at the senders own expense.
It would be a question I would want answered before buying.

MontyVeda

I got caught by that one, dispatched from the UK via Royal Mail but returns have to go to China at the senders own expense.
It would be a question I would want answered before buying.
agreed... i tried to find the return address for faulty items but couldn't find one... and their T&Cs are vague and by purchasing, you agree to them.

Saying that, I've bought several things from china with no problems so far... unlike my dad and his cheap chinese tablet.. that was rubbish!

if I've got £67 quid left over by payday, I might buy one... it's not a huge amount after all.

Top Bottom