Looking for a cycling/driving analogy to win an argument...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hmm. Why would someone wish to use something with one primary purpose for a different activity, when there is something specifically designed for that activity in close proximity?
Oh my! I shall never forget the 'cucumber' incident at the Vicar's tea party!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Surely the best counter-argument is not an analogy but a higher-level principle to which she cannot but subscribe.

Cycle lanes are not created with the idea that cyclists must use them; they are created as an option which cyclists may choose to use. In any given situation, use of such facilities is subject to the higher principle that 'a thoughtful and considerate cyclist will always take that course of action least likely to cause inconvenience and risk to him/herself and to others'. If use of a cycle path is in any given situation likely to conflict with that general principle - ie, to increase inconvenience/risk to rider or others - then the path must be spurned, and an alternative - more convenient/less risky - option chosen.

Or you could just tell her to shut the fark up and make your dinner.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
She sees only inconvenience to the driver though, who has to slow down, despite my protestations that speed is a limit, not a target, and that life's too short to worry about a lost 10 seconds.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
She sees only inconvenience to the driver though, who has to slow down, despite my protestations that speed is a limit, not a target, and that life's too short to worry about a lost 10 seconds.

Maybe suggest that the sort of driver that would see waiting a moment to pass a cyclist as an inconvenience is a brain dead moron undeserving of the consideration of a lady of such infinite taste and discernment that she a) rides a bike & b) married you

You may also wish to sit her down to watch Ferris Bueller's day off with the little homily about life moving so fast that if you don't slow down now and again you'll miss the good bits, she's actually doing the drivers a favour not inconveniencing them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
a while back i was a passenger in my dad's car, driving past Lancaster university along the A6. "This bloody annoys me..." Dad said, referring to a cyclist using the A6 and headed for Lancaster. "...there's a cycle path up there!" he added, referring to the cycle route which runs from the Uni into town that uses a mixture of shared use paths and residential 'back' roads.

"Well, there's a motorway over there too... why aren't you using it?" I replied.

Dad's house is a lot closer the north Lancaster junction, yet he always uses the south Junction as he'd rather drive through town then use the final few miles of motorway... that is his right, as is ours to choose whether or not to use a cycle lane.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
3B, you forgot about greasing the nipples...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3657198, member: 10119"]Past my old front door! Tell him that everyone who lives on Main Road, Galgate, hates him using their street as a rat run :smile:[/QUOTE]
there's a plan to move the south junction half a mile north so the traffic joins the A6 by the Uni... it won't be cheap but I'm sure the good folk of Galgate will appreciate it :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Several years ago I witnessed an absurdity created by some cyclist who slavishly stuck to a cycle path.

I was cycling back into York from Pocklington a few days after it had snowed. The roads had been salted and gritted and were clear. The cycle paths were covered in compacted snow and ice yet the half dozen or so cyclists that I overtook had slavishly stuck to the cycle path and were slipping and sliding as they hesitantly made forward progress as I serenely pedalled past them on the road.

A couple of years earlier on the same stretch of road, a pal that I was cycling with left the road and joined the cycle path asking me to join him as I was giving cyclists a bad name by cycling on the road while there was a perfectly good cycle path available.

I wanted to pat him on the head with a shovel.

Top Bottom