Looking for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not the best time to buy right now but a really good time to research and narrow options down. I live near Wheelbase in Staveley, Kendal so have access to plenty of brands and options. Used them for many bikes for all the family. I have only ridden Aluminium bikes (a Cube Cross race cyclocross bike when I worked in UK for all year round commute and many years back a Trek 1.5 or 1.7 I think it was) and a steel Condor but interested in Carbon and seeing what they are like to ride.
Mostly used for commuting to work (which will be around Europe as I work away so also need to transport the bike), and when at home it will be once or twice a week riding the 15 miles from my house up to the Lake District and around that area of the country. I may even try the odd Sportive !
Read the numerous threads and reviews of the Trek Domane SL5 and the Spec Roubaix Sport so they are two I am looking at and they will eventually be back at Wheelbase sometime :wacko: so can arrange a test ride.
I did think of another Condor but with commitments its easier to go off the peg from a LBS.
Any other similar bikes you can suggest ? Reviews of the above 2 from owners ?
Would a Carbon bike stand up to the worst that Air France & Alitalia can throw at it ^_^
I know I need to test ride, hence using Wheelbase when the time comes and stock returns.

Thanks In advance

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The regular air travel would be enough for me to rule out the carbon option. Carbon frames are pretty tough but not as robust as metal when it comes to rough handling.

I would agree, have taken aluminium MTB long haul with no probs, the thought of several 20kg suitcases on top of a lightweight carbon road bike, oh dear. As a bike lover it would put me off my in-flight meal.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

The regular air travel would be enough for me to rule out the carbon option. Carbon frames are pretty tough but not as robust as metal when it comes to rough handling.

Yes that was one of my thoughts. I forgot to add I have an old Genesis single speed so also looked at the Equilibrium disc. I suppose now would be paying full price for the 2020 and in not too distant future the 2021 will arrive and see the '20' at a knock down price

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I would agree, have taken aluminium MTB long haul with no probs, the thought of several 20kg suitcases on top of a lightweight carbon road bike, oh dear. As a bike lover it would put me off my in-flight meal.

The added expense of a huge Bike Box Alan to factor in as protection for Carbon:ohmy:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The only solution if you’re going to be regularly taking it to Europe would be a quality dedicated bike case whatever bike you choose unless you want to consider a Moulton which can fit in a standard suitcase or of course a Brompton.
You won’t have to pay if the case is under 23kg as part of your standard luggage allowance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that was one of my thoughts. I forgot to add I have an old Genesis single speed so also looked at the Equilibrium disc. I suppose now would be paying full price for the 2020 and in not too distant future the 2021 will arrive and see the '20' at a knock down price
Except there is almost no stock of the 2020 / 20. Genesis themselves sell online through Freewheel

I got an immaculate 2015 Eq 10 disc recently on eBay for under £600 so certainly worth looking at used

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'd be wart of even putting a disc brake box in an aircraft baggage hold, this might not be a bike but it was in a hardcase.

View: https://youtu.be/gzckZcYdDHI

Seen many online videos of Carbon bikes smashed to bits in aircraft luggage and seen a few in arrivals baggage hall but most in soft bags, maybe some stories online of bikes damaged even when in a Bike Box Alan but equally as many of perfectly fine travel. One of the lads I sometimes see at sites abroad uses Jet2 when he flies (if possible) and takes his bike to Portugal, Italy, etc and says never had any problems other than lugging a massive box about ^_^
Knowing my luck it would be damaged on first flight out !!!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When I travel with work I always hire a bike instead of taking my own. I usually don't get enough time to dedicate to days and days of cycling so it is always cheaper than shipping a bike. If I were to ship a bike regularly then I would be fine with a hard case. You could also take a look at Canyon bikes to add to your list, they seem to have a bit of availability.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

When I travel with work I always hire a bike instead of taking my own. I usually don't get enough time to dedicate to days and days of cycling so it is always cheaper than shipping a bike. If I were to ship a bike regularly then I would be fine with a hard case. You could also take a look at Canyon bikes to add to your list, they seem to have a bit of availability.

Thanks Milkfloat:okay: Availability not such an issue as taking this time to research and hopefully get some other ideas and opinions.
If I was only travelling for a week or less then hiring would definitely be the best option. Longer jobs it could get pricey. Will take a look at Canyon, actually never looked at those

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Milkfloat:okay: Availability not such an issue as taking this time to research and hopefully get some other ideas and opinions.
If I was only travelling for a week or less then hiring would definitely be the best option. Longer jobs it could get pricey. Will take a look at Canyon, actually never looked at those
You won't be able to test ride a Canyon in the UK (unless you have a friend with one)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One of the lads I sometimes see at sites abroad uses Jet2 when he flies (if possible) and takes his bike to Portugal, Italy, etc and says never had any problems other than lugging a massive box about ^_^
Knowing my luck it would be damaged on first flight out !!!
Don’t forget the handing of your luggage has nothing to do with Jet2 or whatever airline you are flying with, it is down to baggage handlers at that particular airport.

Top Bottom