Looking for a quality 5 speed freewheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lpretro1

The Sunrace ones are really ok. Not a lot of choice in these nowadays however s take what you can get.

compo

Veteran
Freewheels all bagged up and ready to post but:

This morning getting out of the shower (overbath shower) and I had a fall. Cracked my skull on the toilet seat and my hip is killing me. I can put weight on it and walk so probably not broken, but it is so arthritic it doesn't take much to set it off. I will try and get over to the Post Office later but depends if the snow melts a bit.

Such fun getting old and decrepid.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Freewheels all bagged up and ready to post but:

This morning getting out of the shower (overbath shower) and I had a fall. Cracked my skull on the toilet seat and my hip is killing me. I can put weight on it and walk so probably not broken, but it is so arthritic it doesn't take much to set it off. I will try and get over to the Post Office later but depends if the snow melts a bit.

Such fun getting old and decrepid.

That's terrible, sorry to hear that! Hope you get well soon!

No rush for the parts so don't push any injuries trying to post them out.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

Bobtoo

Über Member
You're not alone in this, HovR. The eBay 6 speed freewheel I put on my Peugeot in summer has been doing similar. It was one of these. Started making grinding noises when freewheeling last week followed by seeming to jump when moving off after freewheeling. I fed a load of heavy oil into it and left it overnight and it seems better now but it's marked for replacement in the very near future. Trouble is my Shimano freewheel tool doesn't fit it so I'll have to figure out what kind of tool is required to get it off first.

I bought one of those for my Carlton recently because the original Suntour didn't survive being removed from the old back wheel. At the time it was the only 6 speeder of nearly the right range (I wanted 13-24) I could find on eBay, obviously from the moment I pressed "Buy" eBay has been awash with exactly the right model. The no-name effort felt quite shoddy from the start and has only been ridden far enough to go through all the gears. I am currently awaiting delivery of a badly listed Suntour (1/4 of the price a well-listed example fetched the day before).

Freewheel removal without the tool is actually quite easy. You just unscrew the bearing cup/locking ring with a hammer and screwdriver (can't remember which way but it quickly becomes apparent) and pull the cluster off. Then it's just a matter of using a pipe wrench type tool to undo the centre part. Brutal but effective, and it can be done non-destructively if you want to put the freewheel back together again. In your case the freewheel will never be any use until it's been stripped down and rebuilt anyway so you have nothing to lose.

Teuchter

Über Member
I bought one of those for my Carlton recently because the original Suntour didn't survive being removed from the old back wheel. At the time it was the only 6 speeder of nearly the right range (I wanted 13-24) I could find on eBay, obviously from the moment I pressed "Buy" eBay has been awash with exactly the right model. The no-name effort felt quite shoddy from the start and has only been ridden far enough to go through all the gears. I am currently awaiting delivery of a badly listed Suntour (1/4 of the price a well-listed example fetched the day before).

Freewheel removal without the tool is actually quite easy. You just unscrew the bearing cup/locking ring with a hammer and screwdriver (can't remember which way but it quickly becomes apparent) and pull the cluster off. Then it's just a matter of using a pipe wrench type tool to undo the centre part. Brutal but effective, and it can be done non-destructively if you want to put the freewheel back together again. In your case the freewheel will never be any use until it's been stripped down and rebuilt anyway so you have nothing to lose.
I'll maybe end up giving that a try if getting hold of a tool that fits proves difficult. Not overly keen to risk screwing up the hub on my main commuter bike if it goes wrong and I end up with half an unremoveable freewheel stuck on there though!

Should have had a look yesterday when I had the wheels off for (well overdue) cleaning. The crap eBay freewheel is still getting by with the help of a good oiling now and then - it's getting like running a Sturmey Archer.

Top Bottom