Looking for a reason to stop cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I don't know much about the world of para-cycling (or the track in general I suppose) so apologies if my question appears ignorant or rude: since Mendez has less bike than his opponent, are weights added to make them the same? Or does it not really matter given the obstacles he's already overcome?

I'm no expert, but if I remember my paralympics coverage properly there are a huge number of different categories that even the playing field. So while lots of different types of athlete will be racing together all of the results are based on which class they were racing for. There's odd things depending on the discipline where missing two feet is equal to an arm from the elbow down, and that kind of thing.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm no expert, but if I remember my paralympics coverage properly there are a huge number of different categories that even the playing field. So while lots of different types of athlete will be racing together all of the results are based on which class they were racing for. There's odd things depending on the discipline where missing two feet is equal to an arm from the elbow down, and that kind of thing.

Yeah, I knew about the different categories and you're right, there are loads! I was more wondering if the bikes (and other equipment too I suppose) was modified so that it was essentially the same for everyone. Thinking about it, probably not, but I'd be interested if anyone has a definitive answer.

Top Bottom