Looking for a small frame bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpemburn

Hi Y'all,

I've been using a little bento bag on the top tube to carry all of my non-tool stuff like energy bars and car keys, etc. It's okay, but gets in the way of my knees. I bought one that goes in front under the top tube, but it was so big that I couldn't easily get at my water bottle. I’d say that front-of-the-triangle bags are out, given how small my frame is.

Do you use a top tube/seat tube bag? Do you like it? Is it not outrageously priced (less than USD40/GBP30)? It’d be super cool if it has some kind of organizer inside.

Thanks!

Tribansman

Veteran
You could keep the one that goes under your top tube and get a side entry bottle cage...

I use a large Topeak fuel tank...works well for me and doesn't get in the way of my knees,

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

You could keep the one that goes under your top tube and get a side entry bottle cage...
There are side-entry bottle cages?!? I had no idea! I did send the bag back already, but this changes the equation, for sure. Thanks!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There are side-entry bottle cages?!? I had no idea! I did send the bag back already, but this changes the equation, for sure. Thanks!
There are and I use the Lezyne ones linked to. Be aware they are not precisely side-entry you need to introduce the bottle from the top and the side. I'm not sure these would solve your problem. If one tries to push a bottle in literally from the side the force required is too much to be safe. They are though very good cages, I use them on all my bikes.

I don't like frame bags and haven't been able to find a top tube bag which fits snugly and doesn't bang my knees.

I find these are a very good solution.
https://leadoutgear.com/products/lead-out-mini-handlebar-bag

https://www.camelchopsgear.co.uk/

I've twice ordered the Leadout bag and received it within 72 hours - from LA!! Very happy to recommend.

The bento box sits on the top tube behind the stem. If your knees are hitting it they must be over the top of the top tube ? How are you doing that ?

You can also get bags that sit at the other end of the top tube and tie around the seat post.

Alpkit do lots of bags that fit your requirements. A

Tribansman

Veteran
There are and I use the Lezyne ones linked to. Be aware they are not precisely side-entry you need to introduce the bottle from the top and the side. I'm not sure these would solve your problem. If one tries to push a bottle in literally from the side the force required is too much to be safe. They are though very good cages, I use them on all my bikes.

I don't like frame bags and haven't been able to find a top tube bag which fits snugly and doesn't bang my knees.

I find these are a very good solution.
https://leadoutgear.com/products/lead-out-mini-handlebar-bag

https://www.camelchopsgear.co.uk/

I've twice ordered the Leadout bag and received it within 72 hours - from LA!! Very happy to recommend.
Love the look of that lead out bag! Does it keep rain out?

kenmiles

Yes. It will get slightly damp inside if your out for hours but not wet.
What I do with the leadout bag have my items in a plastic zip bag. Nothing gets wet then.

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

The bento box sits on the top tube behind the stem. If your knees are hitting it they must be over the top of the top tube ? How are you doing that ?

You can also get bags that sit at the other end of the top tube and tie around the seat post.

Alpkit do lots of bags that fit your requirements. A
I have special knees 😉.

Upon reflection, this isn't really an issue on my new bike, though it was on my old one. When it gets down to where the cheese binds, my objection is more aesthetic. It makes my lovely bike look like it's wearing a pocket protector.

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

The Evoc bag arrived yesterday. I think it’s a keeper. Pretty small, but it holds my cleat covers and a couple of energy bars with a bit of room to spare. There’s a mesh pocket in the lid to keep my car key—something that feels more secure than it did in the bento bag.

The only thing that is less than perfect is the fact the the zipper is on the left side and, when fully closed, is underneath the housing for the rear brake cable where it enters the frame. If I keep it unzipped a couple of cm, it’s easier to get at. Not worried about things getting wet as I seldom ride in the rain.

It’s not to hard to get the water bottle in and out but I have a pair of side-loading cages coming in a couple of days in any case.

5D19E420-205E-483E-A91C-6345B510758D.jpeg

OP
OP
mpemburn

mpemburn

Flip it round and have it on top and then you are ok with the existing cages ?
The main reason for going to this bag was to get away from having a bag on top. I’ve been wanting to get different cages, anyhow, and they’re already on the way. Should get them today, in fact.

Top Bottom