Looking for a tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lenny

Lenny

Thanks for all the advice - it is more than I ever could have expected. It's great to get such a wide range of opinions. I think that I'm going to try to buy something really good, like a Hilleberg, if I can, as I know it will represent very good value in the long term. If I can't afford it come January though, I'll get something cheaper - maybe even seconhand - that will suit my immediate needs and hold out for something better. There's a wealth of suggestions for me to look through and research here, thanks.

P.H

Über Member
I returned to camping after a 20 year absence with a £90 Coleman tent. It’s far superior to the top of the range from the 80s. Like all technologies, tents and fabrics move on. It’s always nice to have the best, but don’t be fooled into thinking you need it. People have traveled round the world with equipment you’d reject if it was offered free. One of the biggest differences between high end and medium price tents seems to be the weight. What might crucial to a fell runner isn’t going to be noticeable between 2 or 3 when cycle touring. I’ve recently bought a second hand Golite Hex, I haven’t used it enough to recommend it, initial impressions are good, it’s huge, easy to put up and rated as 4 seasons;
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product95.asp

ive had a Coleman Cobra 3 for years and its grate for camping with bikes loads of room ive had 4 men in there when my mates tent ripped it has a 5000hh light ie 3.5kg. it gose up in 5 mins and ive had it out in the north york moors in mid winter and it was loving the snow it had around a foot of it on top in the wind and it did not bend, buge or wince.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewproduct/mps/RGN/11/RCN/86/RPN/559/v/1/sp/

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
spandex said:
ive had a Coleman Cobra 3 for years and its grate for camping with bikes loads of room ive had 4 men in there when my mates tent ripped it has a 5000hh light ie 3.5kg. it gose up in 5 mins and ive had it out in the north york moors in mid winter and it was loving the snow it had around a foot of it on top in the wind and it did not bend, buge or wince.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewproduct/mps/RGN/11/RCN/86/RPN/559/v/1/sp/

I've used Vango tents for nearly all of my cycle camping over the past four years and 4000 miles. I have a Spirit 250 and another model whose name escapes me and they have both stood up to some pretty foul weather. I can not comment on the price of them as they were both given to me.

One piece of advice is to make sure that the tent is one person in capacity more than it's intended use i.e. two man for solo and three man for two person use etc. The extra weigh is minimal but the gain in space makes for a more comfortable existence.

I have seen the Cobra in action and was impressed at its speed of erection and packing. Not enough headroom for my liking though.

You are right the headroom is a bit low but its still coming in at 135cm i think? of the top of my head. The thing with the packing ive found if your in a rush you can just throw it into the wet bag. If you have the time you can pack it up properly into the dry bag. And your right on the size of tent as i found out in my last post there was four of us with two tents but needs must they all got into mine ok.

redcogs

Guru
Chris James said:
I have a Vango Micro 200 and a Vango Tempest 200.

The Tempest would be a great tent for cycle camping. Vangos are well made and good value for money. My only criticisms of it are that it wouldn't be great in high winds (i.e. wild camping in mountainous areas) due to it's tunnel construction as opposed to semi geodesic. Also, the inner door is mesh only so not as warm as a two layer door.

Also look at Wild Country tents as they are usually good value too.

Definitely either buy (or make your own) footprint too.

Chris. i've just purchased a Vango Tempest 200 (unused as yet). You suggest getting a "footprint" - i'm new to this - so i assume you mean a groundsheet? Can you recommend something based on your experience? Is its purpose to prolong the life of the attached one?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I made my own out of plastic sheeting from a diy store. Protecton to underside of inner and as a groundsheet for the 'porch area'. Only a few quid but more expensive if you buy the manufacturers brand.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rich p said:
I made my own out of plastic sheeting from a diy store. Protecton to underside of inner and as a groundsheet for the 'porch area'. Only a few quid but more expensive if you buy the manufacturers brand.

I've got a PVC sheet that I use with my tents. It's oversized for some of them but a few folds renders it useable for them all.. I'm sure that it cost less than a fiver.

Brains

Legendary Member
The words "4 season" and "light" do not go together

But to get the best of both worlds, as you are going to the uSA, in makes sense to get the best the USA offers whilst the dollar/pound is 2 to 1

We have done a number of winter cycle tours using the 3 man TNF VE 25 tent - it's the muts nuts, bombproof, and will last you years

Use this one as your benchmark tent and then see if you can find anything better (The figure on the price tag in the UK will be the same as the USA, just the currencey will be different !)

Chris James

Über Member
redcogs said:
Chris. i've just purchased a Vango Tempest 200 (unused as yet). You suggest getting a "footprint" - i'm new to this - so i assume you mean a groundsheet? Can you recommend something based on your experience? Is its purpose to prolong the life of the attached one?

Hi Redcogs, I missed this. Yes, like the others said it is just something to prevent any stones or like poking a hole in your ground sheet.

You can usually buy ready made ones for your tent (not sure about Vangos) but I just use some plastic sheeting bought from a garden centre. Cut it to the size of the inner tent floor (i.e. don't let it stick out from underneath the fly or it will collect rainwater).

It also keeps your tent a bit cleaner too.

redcogs

Guru
Chris James said:
Hi Redcogs, I missed this. Yes, like the others said it is just something to prevent any stones or like poking a hole in your ground sheet.

You can usually buy ready made ones for your tent (not sure about Vangos) but I just use some plastic sheeting bought from a garden centre. Cut it to the size of the inner tent floor (i.e. don't let it stick out from underneath the fly or it will collect rainwater).

It also keeps your tent a bit cleaner too.

Cheers Chris. Its the practical bits of advice like this that make the forum such a resource.

Top Bottom