Looking for advice re new bike for commuting (warning has ebike content too)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Where's the best place to look for 2nd hand ebikes
Try e-bike dealers

Smudge

Veteran
Where's the best place to look for 2nd hand ebikes

For sale threads in ebike forums like Pedelecs, plus Ebay & Gumtree. Plus keep an eye on HotUkDeals, sometimes there's good deals for new ebikes that get posted on there.
Biggest caveat for secondhand is the battery, how many times its been charged and how its been looked after. Its a big expense to replace one.

Skanker

Be careful with electric front wheels as they can cause damage to the fork tips if they produce too much torque. I broke a nice set of forks learning this a few years back.
Make sure your forks have no cracks or damage on the tips where the axle sits.
Also most electric wheels from home build kits have 12mm axles so check your forks have a big enough space between them as making the gap bigger will make the tips weaker and they are more likely to break.
Result - Heavy face-plant (from experience)

Zanelad

Guru
I'd say stick with what you've got for now and see how you get on. I feel a hypocrite though as I bought an e bike for my commute. It's further than yours at 11 miles each way and I'm 11 years older ^_^. That's my excuse, anyway.

I use flat bars and didn't consider drop bars. I shower each morning and find that I'm still sweet smelling when I get to work. I'd rather leave a few minutes earlier and ease the pace than bust a gut and get hot and bothered.

Top Bottom