Looking for advice regarding stem/handlebars/reach etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

13d375a26dadc36f285630c690e66403.png

So, above is a geometry comparison between by two bikes, however, when I specced the Pro Carbon, because I went down a size from my previous bike I specced a 120mm stem (80mm is standard)
I bought my Pro Carbon last year and found it pretty comfortable. Then around November, I bought a new winter bike (Triban RC120) and having ridden them back to back for the last few days I'm finding my Winter bike much more comfortable, both while riding with my hands on the hoods and on the drops.

On the Summer bike I feel too stretched out and that the drops feel too low in comparison to the winter bike handlebars. On the summer bike because I went down a size (medium to small) I changed the stem length from 80mm to a 120mm which I think is going to be an issue.

In a similar vein, while the Pro Carbon handlebars are perfectly straight from the stem, the Triban handlebars curve ever so slightly backwards before straightening out, shortening the reach even further.

Using the geometry and info above, am I going to need a new stem and handlebars(especially for a lower drop? or do you think shortening the whole thing could make the depth of the drop better than it is currently?), and if so I've heard of some 'Deda' Handlebars being a popular choice for a cheap but important upgrade.

I've just measured some stuff on my handlebars.

Summer -

Reach (distance from the main bar of the handlebars to the drops) 9cm

Depth of drop from top bar - 14cm

Winter -

Reach - 8cm

Depth - 13cm

So, winter bike drops are is 1cm shorter and higher

Also, I'm on a Sella San Marco saddle which (again, in comparison to the winter bike which ius a bog standard saddle fitted at Decathlon) is pretty farking awful; I just didn't realise until I rode it for a few hours after riding my winter bike for a few hours days before.

I generally ride for around 40-50 miles 2-3 times a week using cycling shorts/leggings.

Sallar55

Veteran
You don't buy a race bike for comfort, unless it's for long sportives or audax and you change parts to make it comfortable. We are all slightly different shapes, getting the best position on the bike is a gradual process.

AndyRM

XOXO
You're comparing two quite different bikes there. You're always going to feel more stretched on the Planet X.

RE: saddles - I love my San Marco, had various versions over the years. You may find it's a bit harder than whatever's on the Decathlon, or it may be because it doesn't fit your sit-bones as well. If you like what's on the Decathlon, get another of those and swap it over.

Deda bars are great quality and don't break the bank.

vickster

Legendary Member
Try a shorter stem, put the original 80mm on as a starting point if you have it and I’d also flip it to bring the bars up.
120mm seems a rather long stem assuming the frame size is correct.
Are the handlebars the same width? 40cm on the Triban…the PX?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
RE: saddles - I love my San Marco, had various versions over the years. You may find it's a bit harder than whatever's on the Decathlon, or it may be because it doesn't fit your sit-bones as well. If you like what's on the Decathlon, get another of those and swap it over.

I agree with @AndyRM Saddles are a very personal thing.once you have found one that suits, stick with it.

Sharky

Guru
When you are lucky enough to have multiple bikes. When you swap from one to the other, the minutiest of differences seem drastic. But after a few rides, the body adjusts and the "uncomfortable" bike becomes comfortable.

When I set up my bikes, I always start with the saddle, making sure the measurements relative to the BB and pedals are the same. Then work on the relative positions of the bars (brake hoods) and saddle.

Good luck

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
The triban has a much more upright position, no matter what you do to the Planet X, it won't feel as comfortable.

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

So I've ordered a 70mm stem which should hopefully arrive tomorrow and also a Charge Spoon saddle (heard them mentioned a lot around our club)
The 70mm stem (coupled with the difference in handlebars) should make the reach about the same. If that doesn't work then I'll look into other things. The Planet X was nice and comfortable until I got the (even more) comfy Triban :tongue: Maybe it will just be a case of becoming re-accustomed to the Planet X once the summer comes round; current concern would be I'm taking it to Majorca in mid-March for a week :biggrin: I want it to be happy with it by then

Top Bottom