Looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gixer771

Good evening everyone, i am currently researching recumbent bikes and trikes. I am awaiting a total shoulder replacement and am struggling to ride my road/mountain bikes. My local gym has recumbent exercise bikes which i am finding very shoulder friendly. My questions to you are:-
1. which is best bike or trike?
2. where would i find them?
3. what is a good make?
4. what is a reasonable price?
Thanking you all in advance for any reply
Darren

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
1. For build quality, I.C.E are amongst the best. They seem to last forever, and hold their values really well. I have a 5 year old ICE Trice, and it seems pretty bulletproof. That said, I've just acquired a Catrike 700, which is faster, lighter, looks better and is just as well built.
2. Depends where you live. If you're 'dahhhhn sarth' you have Dtek/Bikefix/Catrike UK, if you're well oooop north Laidbackbikes.
3. Most 'bent manufacturers with a reasonable range offer good quality models. Some ahem Chinese attempts look a bit ropey. Check components specs, weight etc. This is where you need to spend a few hours on t'web looking at reviews/forums etc.
4. New 'bents are ludicrously expensive. Best bet is to look on Forums such as this one/CTC/BrithishHumanPowerFiorum etc. They have classified sections, and most owners seem to take really good care of their machines. Don't be tempted to just bid on ebay on a machine that you've never heard of, there are some really poor machines on there sometimes. I'd say you need to be looking at around the grand mark for a decent modern 'bent.
Depending on where you live, your best bet is to try and have a look at a few machines. I'd be happy for someone interested to have a look/a ride on one of my trikes (I'm in Doncaster.)

BTW, I've had a couple of 2 wheelers (Bacchetta Strada/Optima Baron) but imho trikes make more sense. They're more fun, almost as fast, and far easier to ride!

Good luck!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Dave McCraw lives in Edinburgh and has extensive 'bent experience (eg 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris audax in 2011). He has been loaned some bikes and trikes by Dave Gardiner at Laid-Back-Bikes and his reviews are here.

Obviously he can only review what Laid back are selling but it should be a good starting point. :thumbsup:

I've only one arm and ride a converted ICE trike as it puts almost no strain on the remaining arm.
Both front disks are worked off a single lever, so that's an easy mod if you need to do it.
Gear changers can be either bar-ends or twist grip as needed.

An aladins cave of recumbent's and unusual bikes is run by Kevin Dunseath, based in Little Thetford near Ely just off of the A10.

If you need to know anything about 'bents or are thinking of buying one from elsewhere drop him an email dtekhpvs(at)btconnect.com or phone him on 01353 648177 he will probably know of the bike that's being sold and it's origins.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mickle of this parish also has experience and knowledge of 'bents for people with physical limitations.

Worth giving him a PM ...

Top Bottom