Looking for Best Budget Bike With These Specs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crevice

Hello, I am 53 and 6'4" I'm looking for something that is inexpensive but reliable the has disc brakes (preferably hydraulic), prefer a 1x drivetrain but that's not a deal breaker and something that would be considered a hybrid or maybe gravel/smooth trail bike. I would prefer an upright position bike or something that's easy on the neck/spine. Any suggestions?

AndyRM

XOXO

Alex321

Veteran
"Inexpensive" can have very different meanings for different people.

Do you mean under £300? Under £500? Under £1000 (starting to get a reasonable choice)? Or something else?

vickster

Legendary Member
A flat bar right hybrid with your spec will be cheaper than a drop bar gravel bike.
If flats, take a look at the Whyte R7 range (you’ll need an XL). They cost £700-1100 new I think. If prepared to go second hand, it’ll be cheaper but your preferred spec of 1x and hydraulic discs is pricy.
There might be a sub £1k Boardman hybrid but the availability is v sketchy

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

A flat bar right hybrid with your spec will be cheaper than a drop bar gravel bike.
If flats, take a look at the Whyte R7 range (you’ll need an XL). They cost £700-1100 new I think. If prepared to go second hand, it’ll be cheaper but your preferred spec of 1x and hydraulic discs is pricy.
There might be a sub £1k Boardman hybrid but the availability is v sketchy

Yes I should have mentioned that. A flat bar would be common for that riding position I would think.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or a well fitting bike, possibly with an angled stem.
If you have issues with your neck / spine which can’t be resolved with stretching, pilates, core strengthening etc, make sure adjustments are possible with the bike you choose.
What’s your budget?

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ll be lucky I’d think, discounts are few and far between as stocks are so low.
Second hand might get you a better deal

Ah, you’re in the US? Forget Whyte and Boardman then!

I’d say that looks very basic, suspension on cheaper bikes is usually heavy and poor quality. Stick to rigid forks unless seriously off roading.
Probably ok for light occasional use

Bike specs. :okay:

1637166919210.png

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

You’ll be lucky I’d think, discounts are few and far between as stocks are so low.
Second hand might get you a better deal

Ah, you’re in the US? Forget Whyte and Boardman then!

I’d say that looks very basic, suspension on cheaper bikes is usually heavy and poor quality. Stick to rigid forks unless seriously off roading.
Probably ok for light occasional use

This is the main page for Hybrid bikes and they seem to have some decent prices, better supply than most and they are getting stock in as well. The bike I linked earlier was just an example. You're right though, with rigid forks would be better and I would guess cheaper. But that had hydraulic disc brakes as well. It was in stock this morning. Not that I was wanting that bike though, that's why I'm here. :smile:

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Not sure how to go about a used bike. If you folks could provide some suggestions on used offerings as well that would be good to look at.

Top Bottom