Looking for Best Budget Bike With These Specs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Could you speak about the Derailleur, Shifters, Crankset, Brakes, etc? I did notice on the one I just posted everything is Shimano and the 1x is mixed. I'm unsure how the quality of these components compare to each other. My gut is saying the 3x is just going to introduce problems. I know the cross-chain thing (whatever it's called) but another derailleur as well. Kinda stuck.
The Boardman Hybrid I had until I bought the Cube in August had a 3x, with quite similar ratios (though 11-32 rather than 11-34), SRAM gears and tektro brakes. I got a lot of good use out of that bike, with the main problem I had being that it ate bottom brackets. But I had no issues at all with the mix of SRAM gears and Tektro brakes - on a hybrid, the brake levers and gear shifters aren't combined the way they are on a road bike, so mixing brands isn't really an issue.

I never had any real problems with the 3x once I had it set up properly - I did have some initial difficult getting the front derailleur set up right. And I wouldn't worry too much about cross-chaining. It doesn't really harm the drivetrain much, and with a 3x you are loess likely to want to do it anyhow, as there tends to be more overlap between the bottom gears on one chainring and the top gears on the next smaller one.

I think the Altus and the X4 are fairly similar level components (and both are 8 speed cassettes, which tends to reinforce that). And I don't think you will notice the difference between the Shimano Altus and Tektro brakes either.

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

Well, I went with the 1x. I just bought it, hopefully no issues and it will fit me ok. Thank you to everyone for all of your feedback!

strada-expx4-mttig-21-01-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I highly doubt it will come setup as tubeless, in fact the valves on the pic look like schrader not presta valves, a little uncommon for 700c wheels. I think the wheels dictate if you are able to convert to tubeless or not - with the appropriate kit and tyres. I personally think there’s nothing wrong with conventional tubes and wouldn’t worry about it for now. What colour frame did you go for?

Alex321

Veteran
Can someone tell me if this bike comes with tubeless tires? I can't tell, thanks!
" Kenda 700x42C REFLECTIVE Sidewall with PUNCTURE GUARD "

Those are not tubeless ready tyres, so no.

And with Schraeder valves, those wheels may be tricky to set up tubeless if you want to later, as the valve holes are slightly larger than for Presta, which is what most tubeless valves are.

vickster

Legendary Member
Those are Schrader valves, you can tell by the size and shape of the valve cap. Like what you see on a car.

Just get better tyres if you get frequent punctures, stock ones, especially on a budget bike often aren't the most resilient if you're going to be riding glass strewn urban roads for example

Alex321

Veteran
The main reason I asked is because I noticed on other bikes that had tubes they listed the tubes it came with in the specs halfway down the page and they didn't on mine, it only list tires.
It only lists tyres on the other one you linked to as well. It does specify "standard valve" but that is just to indicate it doesn't need long valves (most aero wheels do need longer valves, those aren't aero).

It is very rare for a bike spec to list the tubes, unless they have specified special ones (which would usually mean latex).

All uphill

Still rolling along
My advice: get out there and enjoy the ride^_^

OP
OP
Crevice

Crevice

I updated the photos of the frame/bike color. The photo they show is not accurate, it looks more white than silver (top photo). I like them both but I edited the photo. This is what the MatteTiGray/Matte Titanium Gray (Silver) frame I bought actually looks like (bottom photo).

strada-expx4-mttig-21.jpg

strada-expx4-mttig-21-01-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom